Skip to main content

I Dream of Pasta: The Colors


 
 It's been awhile since I saw it. A seizure causing flashing light to most, but a rainbow to me. It was mystifying. I thought it was anyways. I now see that I was blinded by youthful hope and happiness...

It all started out two years ago. I was a huge anime fan and I had seen the banned episode of Pokèmon with the Porygon caused seizures hundreds of times. I also had an unreasonable attraction to short stories on the internet, Creepypastas, I believe they were called. They gave me nightmares, but I loved them. I couldn't stop reading them. It must've been my youthful mind telling me to scare myself into not sleeping, I guess. Anyways, it was my Freshman year of high school, and being that I barely knew anyone, I started hanging out with one of my old friends that ended up in a few of my classes. Over the years, he became a "raver" and a so-called "emo." That's a label that always confused me. Emo. There was Emo, Goth, Suicidal, and they all ended up being related to each other. They shouldn't have been. Hell, I've been a suicidal mess for more than eight years now, yet I wasn't "Emo" or "Goth." I was just distant.

Back to the story, though. My friend had several strobe light apps on his iPhone, and he showed me one that he claimed would get me high. I'm a goody-two-shoes about drug use and getting high, so I refused. He didn't give up though. Every chance he got, he would shine the strobe lights toward my eyes, until one day I caved, after he scratched me down my face (I'm a wrestler, so I have a feeling he knew that that was all he would successfully manage to land on me). Red. Blue. Green. Yellow. White. They flashed so fast, and I swear to God, they made shapes. Faces even. Of course, I only saw them when I closed my eyes. Mainly, I saw two glowing red eyes that seemed to stare into my soul.

I saw it in the corner of my eye during everything I did. It ruined my only part of the day that brought me any happiness; my sleeping. It made me fear closing my eyes. I feared blinking, swimming, video games, even computers, for they just caused me to blink more. It was in my head. It changed my thoughts, it worsened my depression, it made me bleed. Nobody believed me, though. I would give them vivid descriptions of everything that happened, and they would brush it off as some "depressed emo fag blowing smoke up their ass" (Someone's exact words...). By this point, I had seen it's full body, aside from it's red, blood colored, and covered face. I was dying to see it's face. I was dying...

I couldn't cope with it. Knowing it was watching me at all times of the day, but not being able to do anything about it. What was worse though? The lack of control, or the constant fear that I could die at anytime, depending on this creature's will. What could it have possibly wanted from me? Why didn't my friend get afflicted with this curse? He saw the strobe lights just as much as me. No. He saw them more than me. Maybe it fed on resistance. Maybe it could smell corruption on my friend, but could smell nothing but a clean spirit from me. I didn't care. I couldn't stand closing my eyes and seeing it.

A year later, my sophomore year, I decided to cut off my eyelids. I had cut off my bottom eyelid on each eye, and I looked in the mirror to see my work. I was mystified at the sight I had seen. The blood covering my face in the perfectly specific areas. I then knew what I had seen in my visions. The future. My future. I don't know what happened. How... Why... My life began to flash. Followed by red, then blue, then green, yellow. Finally, white. Everything was white. Until I woke up in the hospital later. Apparently they replaced my lower lids with some synthetic skin or something.

I still see it sometimes. It's eyes no longer red, it's face no longer looks blood red and sinister, it just appears to be a constant reminder. A reminder that life shouldn't be taken for granted. I see that no matter how hard life is treating me, I have to keep pushing through. On most days anyways. On some days, I can see it's blood red eyes piercing my soul. I once again remember that day looking at my nearly dead self in the mirror, looking at that thing in the mirror. Looking... Red... Blue... Green... Yellow... And then everything goes white...

---
Written by DownbeatAura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets