Skip to main content

Why Won't He Call Her Mom?

https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/58487dce1800001a00e41732.jpg?ops=scalefit_720_noupscale

My wife and I have the most amazing little boy. He is only two but already he is smart and funny, caring and generous. We are so blessed to have him in our lives.

Natasha and I suffered for years and years of infertility, and I do not use the word lightly we suffered. Emotionally, physically and financially. For ten years we went to different doctors poured our hearts, money, even our families money and so many hours into starting our family. We did and endured everything you can think of. Countless bottles of vitamins, drugs, hormone therapy, and procedure after procedure but everything seemed to fail.

We were beginning the adoption process and looking into different agencies when we decided to give it one last long shot. We were "all in" as my wife liked to say, so what was one more thing to add to the list, it couldn't hurt, could it? Lo and behold it worked, just over nine months later we had a little boy of our own. He was absolutely perfect. Born April 21, 2017, with dimples just like mine. We immediately fell in love.

Postpartum was so hard on her, she was so disappointed she couldn't breastfeed so she made sure she did everything else. She quit her job, read every book and blog out there she could find. She did every bottle-feeding, every diaper change, wore him around the house like a kangaroo, you name it she did it. She does a wonderful job, and he is absolutely devoted to her ... he just won't call her Mom. No other form of Mom either no "Mama", or "Mommy", or even a "Ma". He calls her "Tata", which we are assuming is short for Natasha.

It is breaking my heart, and it is slowly breaking my wife's heart. I see it in her eyes every time our little man runs at me when I come home from work, shouting "Daddy" as he leaps into my arms. I see her smile fade when my Mother comes to visit and he calls her "Nana". It isn't that he doesn't love Natasha. He cuddles and plays with her, they sing and have adorable dance routines, even inside jokes that crack them both up.

It is just concerning sometimes and I know it bothers her especially if we are playing. Sometimes we will be tossing the ball around or something simple like that and I will go "bring the ball to Mommy", hoping he will run it over to Natasha, but time and time again, he will run straight to the basement door and look back to us smiling. It is the strangest thing, he has always done it and we just can't figure out why.

It is not like he knows that is where we buried her. Karen (I think that was her name), his biological mother. He would have no memory of her at all, he only spent ten minutes downstairs in total once he was born. We immediately brought him up to his new room, in fact, he hasn't been downstairs since, so why does he always run to the door? It is just so weird.

Why won't he just call her Mom?

---
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets