Skip to main content

Her First and Only Fare


The bar was closed and Morris hadn’t had a bite all night. Maybe he was getting picky, or maybe the city was just running dry for an old fox like him. All the pretty, dumb girls, hunted to extinction.

No. There were always others. He pulled out his phone, perhaps to prove it to himself. There were more bars, after all. Secret places that stayed open all night. He just needed a ride. 

The first and only ride offered made his heart go pitter-patter.

“Amanda,” he said out loud, chewing each syllable like a last meal. No stars. No history. A little lamb, all alone on a Tuesday night.

She was there in two minutes, driving a little, green Japanese thing and waving through a tinted window. Morris helped himself, diving into the passenger’s seat.

“Lovely night, isn’t it, Amanda?”

The girl frowned, her eyes dancing ever so slightly in her skull. “I think you’re supposed to be in the backseat.”

“No, no. I get sick in the back.” She was small and maybe a little plump for his tastes, but the face was good. The face was just his type.

“Okay,” she said, putting the car into drive. “Should be there in 5 minutes.”

“Take your time,” said Morris. The car was cramped, but it would do. Space enough for what he needed. “First night?”

The girl considered the question. “Just new to this app.”

“Oh, of course,” said Morris with a laugh. “What color are your eyes, Amanda? They’re quite striking.”

The girl flinched, unconsciously turning her head away. “You think so?”

“I do,” said Morris. “And I meet a lot of girls, but hardly any with eyes like that.”

“But some?”

Now Morris flinched, more out of surprise than anything. “One or two.”

The girl nodded. “My sister has eyes just like me.”

“I wouldn’t mind meeting her, then. I bet she’s just as pretty as...” Morris looked out the window. He hadn’t been paying attention to the road - only Amanda. “I think you’re going the wrong way.”

They pulled to a stop outside an abandoned warehouse. “You’ve already met my sister,” said the girl, killing the engine. “I don’t think you’ve met the rest of my family, though.”

Five men came out of the warehouse, followed by two women. The men carried baseball bats and big, heavy wrenches. The women looked just like Amanda - an older version, and a slightly younger version. Both with those same striking eyes.

Morris could just about laugh. 

“Wasn’t sure which app you used, so I signed up for them all,” said the girl.

“You know, I could’ve killed her,” said Morris, voice rising as the panic slowly crept in. “I didn’t though.”

The men reached the car, yanking open the passenger’s side door.

“Don’t worry,” said the girl as they dragged a screaming Morris out onto the pavement. “We won’t make the same mistake.”

---
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets