Skip to main content

The Gift


Every time I get a box in my doorstep, my skin crawls. I used to have panic attacks, but now I know that a) the creepy gift will only come on my birthday and b) it’s inevitable.

I never had simple pleasures such as waiting happily for something I bought online or living for many years in the same house.

I’ve been moving every year, and this person still finds me.

According to my parents, the macabre tradition started when I was 10. My mother got the unknown box addressed to me, her only daughter, and naturally opened it to check it out; at 45, she literally had a heart attack.

But my parents were still able to hide its nefarious contents from me. We moved to another house, and they were the ones to find my creepy gift the next year again. When I turned 12, living in yet another house, I found the box for the first time.

Needless to say, it really messed up my head. My parents tried to tell me it was a sick joke, and that the thing was a fake one. For a while, I tried to believe it. But it was hard, because I had to spend all my birthdays at the police station, and the policeman never addressed that like it was fake.

I don’t have friends or a boyfriend, and I live in fear. I’ve been homeschooled after I was 12, and always worked home office; the only thing I ever do outside of my house is going to therapy. My parents are getting too old to move around every year, so I’ve been living on my own lately. It’s fine, as long as my lease and bills are under someone else’s name. It makes me feel like I have some control over my life.

I legally changed my name twice, but this person still finds me.

Happy birthday to me. I’m spending it at the police station again, testifying the same thing all over.

No, I don’t know who this person could be.

Yes, I tried setting up cameras, I tried having both policemen and private security at my door to catch them, but it was no to avail.

No, nothing out of the ordinary happened to me in the last couple of days, or in any other day of the year.

No, no one has ever tried to kill me. I never wronged anybody, I never accidentally witnessed a crime, I never did anything that could make a murderer target me.

Because – this much is pretty clear – my perpetrator is a murderer.

Every year, I get a woman’s scalp.

I already got all types of slaughtered females: old, young, middle-aged, blonde, brunette. This time, it was clear that the head belonged to a very young female – she couldn’t have been older than 10. My heart sunk.

I hate how they always ask twice if I don’t have any enemies, if I didn’t steal someone’s boyfriend. Because that’s the first thing in your mind – killing someone just to send the top of their head to your rival. There’s no such thing making mean posts on social media or spray painting the bitch’s car.

There are many things about this situation that are even creepier than the scalps.

The first, of course, is that I do my best to hide whenever I move to a new place, but the person doing this always finds me.

The second is that the box always has fingerprints of a single person all over it. He or she doesn’t even try to hide it. Whenever the police check them out, there’s no match.

Like this person doesn’t exist. Or doesn’t exist yet.

Am I too crazy to consider that my attacker is a time traveler?

The third thing is that, when the police technicians run the DNA test on the scalp, they always find the same result, year after year: the dead female is me.

--
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets