Skip to main content

The Finest Corn You'll Ever Find


If you ever happen to pass through the small town of Glasswood, New Jersey, do yourself a favor and stop by the local Farmer's Market and pick up an armful of corn. It's the best damn corn you'll find along the east coast, known not just for its unparalleled sweetness, but for its unique ruby red hue. Every ear's covered in crimson kernels, save for a single ivory kernel that's a lot of fun to search for, like a cylindrical Where's Waldo. But it's always there; a little unintended idiosyncrasy of the growing process.

Granted, while that white kernel is as edible as the rest of the cob, it's admittedly a bit hard, so you might wanna toss it away if you're worried about chipping a tooth.

Now, while in town, you're probably gonna hear some rumors which you'd do well to brush off as the malarky they are. Glasswood's just a simple farming town and nothing sinister's ever come out of such a place. No, there are no "harvest rituals." That's a lie that frankly serves only to undermine the skill of the town's farmers; they grow that fine corn with their own bare hands, thank you very much. And every town in America's got its share of bright-eyed youth with wanderlust and itchy feet, so don't let the missing children posters put you off.

If there is any oddity about the town, it's that the veggies are so packed with nutrients that kids grow up a bit quicker than most - so, sure, a few parents might make a big fuss over a son losing his first tooth, which happens quite often. It's something of a celebration - a coming-of-age ceremony, one might say - and it's plain silly to see any harm in that. In fact, feel free to join in on the evening festivities while the young man in question is given a traditional tour of the local corn fields. (Sadly, tours are not given to visitors.)

And remember to ignore the occasional crazy old coot with their cardboard signs and nonsensical yarns. You'd have to be off your rocker to give a dime of credence to the absurd idea of "blood offerings." Townsfolk have filed multiple complaints against the nuts, but sometimes it can't be helped, and one or two residents just go a little loony every now and then.

But every town has its local bad seeds, right? It's just unfortunate that a place like Glasswood - filled with hard workers and the most pleasant folks you'll ever meet - is plagued with such toxic balderdash. So it's best to put it all out of your mind should you find yourself in that little town bordering the Pine Barrens.

And friend, I cannot stress this enough - when you're there, don't forget to show Glasswood's hard-working farmers a little appreciation by buying yourself a basket of their ripe, red corn. Lord knows they sacrifice so much to make it.

---
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets