Skip to main content

I Witnessed Everything Over Skype


I am a young man in my mid-twenties, the typical kind. I had a girlfriend, until she was killed in her own room, thousands of miles from me. But I witnessed everything over Skype.

It was a late autumn afternoon. I sat down on the couch with my laptop, pressed Call on Skype. Me and my girl, we had been in this relationship for longer than most people would expect from a pair of millennials living on the opposite sides of the globe. This Skype thing, for us, was a kind of scheduled daily ritual that bridged the distance and sustained the love. A healthy habit.

The ringing tone stretched out into what sounded like millennia. I smiled, getting ready to greet her blissful face, always too close to the camera. That was what's so special about her, a certain clumsiness and innocence oozing out from every little thing she did. From the big brown sparkly eyes. From the unkempt baby hairs. From the killer smile, that...

My thoughts were violently interrupted when a masked figure appeared on the call window. I yelped, but the deep dark stare from behind the eye cutouts stayed undisturbed. It looked unapologetically at the camera, then slowly backed up, letting the whole scene to be captured. My heart tensed.

My girlfriend was lying on her bed, motionless. The masked thing grabbed and jerked her head up to look directly at me. Its finger pointed at the bloody mess that was once her throat, then moved up to its lips in a shushing gesture. The brutality of the scene paralysed me in my seat. I covered my mouth with my hands to stop myself from vomiting. My eyes stayed fixed and frozen on the surreal sight in front of me. A silent scream was lost amid a vortex of emotions inside my brain.

The masked killer dropped my girlfriend's head, winked at me, then quietly backed out of the room.

Silence.

I was left there staring at the corpse of the girl I loved, lying on a bed that turned crimson from her blood. A physical metaphor for the bed of roses I once promised her.

'You got what you deserve, you unfaithful b****!' I thought bitterly and pressed End Call. I sipped my coffee, satisfied, not letting my guilt to take over the pleasure. I gave myself a 10/10 for such a genius plan of hiring an assassin to murder my cheating girlfriend. All I needed to do now was to pick up the phone and called her local police station, and to play the role of a distraught witness, thousands of miles away.

The phone rang as I was reaching for it. Mildly perplexed, I took the call.

'Hey, it's me. It looks like someone is with her. A man. Probably her new, you know, guy. We have to postpone the surprise party today. Speak later', the distorted voice of the assassin I hired whispered down the line.

---
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets