Skip to main content

Mistakes


“Sir, please excuse me… I don’t think this is the way to my house.” Anna said from the backseat, kicking herself for accepting a ride from a stranger.

This guy looked official though, he even had the grill between the backseat and the driver, just like the police.

“It’s OK sweetie… I know a shortcut” Clyde said flashing her a quick smile. He couldn’t believe his fortune, she was beautiful, youthful but not child-like, her dark eyes and light skin had caught his attention while she walked alone at night. Most appealingly, he didn’t recognize her as being from his neighborhood.

He patrolled with the neighborhood watch for years now. An epidemic of missing persons gripped his city. After he started patrolling, his neighborhood had been spared.

He turned the sedan onto a small gravel road that led to an isolated industrial site. “Sir? This really doesn’t seem like the right way.” She said, covertly trying the door handles.

“Sir? Please!... You’re starting to scare me.”

“It’s going to be okay darling… just relax.” His grin now had an ominous quality in the dim light from the dashboard.

She was now nearing full panic, trying both door handles, the windows, finally shaking the grill between the backseat and him. “Please Sir! This isn’t the way. Please let me out! My family will be looking for me!” she begged.

Clyde parked the car under the cover of an old rusty steel building, turning for another look at her in the backseat. “It’s going to be alright, just sit tight… I’ll be right back.” He said, flashing her a wink.

She was now hysterical, trying to kick the windows, scream for help, anything she could to get free from her prison.

Clyde opened the trunk and removed his kit. He flashed back to the first time he had done this and how many mistakes he had made. “This one would not get away, and they would never find a trace of her.” He thought, calming his nerves.

He methodically organized his tools on a table beside the car, occasionally checking on Anna. Was she praying? “That’s foolish” he thought.

He kept the gun on her, opening the door, coaxing “Come out. I’ll make it quick.”

Her fear had subsided, a small grin as she looked up. “You know… bullets won’t kill me.”

He smiled knowingly; she hadn’t reflected in his mirrors.

“Yes…. But the holy water in this water gun will burn so...” her grin fading “Please just come out and I’ll make it painless.” He said, subliminally pondering why her grin had returned more sinister.

He didn’t notice the being behind him until the fangs punctured his neck. Realizing too late that he left the wooden stake on the table and that she wasn’t praying, she was calling for help telepathically.

Anna slid from the backseat to join the feeding; pausing to look into his panicked eyes “Sir… I told you that my family would be looking for me.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets