Skip to main content

Don’t Look Outside On Christmas Eve

https://parade.com/.image/t_share/MTkwNTc1OTY1MTMyMDM5Mjkz/silent.png

My hands are trembling as I write this. I’m hiding in my towel closet. I called the cops, but I don’t think they’ll be here in time. I mean, who takes calls on Christmas Eve seriously? They probably think I’m some teenager prank-calling them since I have nothing better to do than take away time from someone’s Christmas. Who would believe what I’m about to say anyway?

Let me back things up and set the scene for you. I live alone, two states away from my family. I feel terrible for not being able to visit them this year. I’ve been having financial struggles as of recent. Paying off student loans is no joke. This is the first time I’ve been able to live on my own. I’m renting a cabin in the middle of butt-fuck nowhere Wisconsin. All that’s around is a convenience store and a bar. The place is nice and the rent is cheap, so who am I to complain? One bed, one bath, and a cramped kitchen that’s right behind the living room. The living room has a nice fireplace too, it keeps the house warm through the night.

So, now that you’ve got the picture, I need to share my experience, no matter how few people see it.

I didn’t have big plans for the holidays. Stay at home, watch some TV, and eat a frozen pizza if I was lucky. No big, fancy dinner, no visitors, just an average night. That’s just what happened. I kicked back on the couch with pizza in hand and watched Christmas movies until my eyes grew heavy. I was awakened by a knock at my door at around 11:45. It’s dark and snowy out, per usual this time of year. I don’t get visitors nor could I see who it was, so I looked out of the small window in the living room.

Frost cloaked the glass, making it a challenge to see who was waiting for my answer. I could make out a human-like figure. My gut was telling me to stay the hell away from what was at my door before I even got a chance to move. The snow was falling so heavily, that it was hard to see anything beyond 6 feet of my house. I trusted my gut though, and moved to my room.

I began to think I was a bad person for leaving whoever was out there in that icy mess. Just as the thought entered my mind, the knocking grew louder. I covered my ears in response to the noise beyond my door. I faced away and it only got worse.

BANG BANG BANG!

I was right to trust my gut.

BANG BANG BANG!

I shouldn’t open the door.

BANG BANG BANG!

I can’t let this go on.

I exhaled deeply and threw my legs over the bed and reluctantly shuffled over to my door. I twisted the knob and peeked outside. The cold weather nipped at my face as a reply.

“Hello?” I peered through the crack.

“Hi,” the person started. I began to make out facial characteristics and realized it was a young woman. “my car broke down and this seemed like a good place to seek shelter.”

That was a red flag to me. There’s a convenience store and a bar within a mile of each other. Why show up to a random house for help? Now, I consider myself a nice guy but the holidays don’t make me a giving person. I don’t like my sleep being interrupted either.

“Oh, um,” I started. I wasn’t sure how to respond. Her behavior was. . .off, to say the least. She was glancing over her shoulder, as if she could see anything through the darkness and snow. “I can give you a number for a towing company. There should be an inn at least a few miles from here, the towing company can take you.”

She didn’t seem satisfied. “Are you sure?” she inquired “it’s awfully cold out here and I don’t know how long it will take them to get here.” She began to look more paranoid. Her eyes darted from side to side, up and down. It was really freaking me out.

“Listen, hon, my house is a wreck and it’s the middle of the night. I’m sorry, I know it’s the holidays, but I have a thing about letting strangers into my house.” I immediately regretted saying those words. Her fear turned to anger.

At this point, she became hysterical. She kicked, punched, and beat my door, trying to force herself in. Her polite words were now screams.

“LET ME IN! LET ME IN!”

The Jane Doe at my door pounded harder and harder. It seemed like my door was about to break. What the hell are you supposed to do in this situation? So, in the spur of the moment, I just locked the door. The knob rattled violently, then stopped abruptly. I picked up my phone and alerted authorities that there was a manic woman outside of my house.

At this point, I figured she had given up and left. I sat down in front of the TV and tried to enjoy the rest of the night. I pondered why she was so upset. No family? Trauma? None of my theories added up. Just as my thinking had concluded and I began to relax, I heard a faint sound. A sound that was so quiet, but seemed so loud. It was the shuffling of snow outside of my window. I pulled my blinds back and peeked outside.

The dim light from the street lamps shone onto my white lawn. The woman was making a circle in the snow. I squinted, trying not to reveal my presence. My eyes began to adjust to the darkness outside. It was now 1:00a.m. There were symbols I couldn’t recognize and a large pentagram in the center. When she finished her “artwork”, she looked right at me. She was staring into my soul. Her gaze sent chills down my spine. Her mouth opened at inhuman angles. Just then, a scream was released. I fell back into the couch. What the fuck do I do? I called the cops for a second time.

Writing this, I’ll be censoring my address for my own security. Here’s how that phone call went.

“(Address). I need police. Please, come quick.” “Sir, we already have the sheriff and back-up on their way. They should be there within the hour. Lock your doors.”

I heard a click on the other end. Well what am I supposed to do now? I’m alone in this house, which seems much more ominous than the night before. There’s some psycho lady standing in my yard in the middle of the night. To top it off, the cops that should be arresting this woman are probably out for drinks. I let out an audible sigh and sat on the floor with my back to the couch. This was not what i thought of as an ideal Christmas.

I figured I might as well freshen up and get ready for bed. Any sliver of hope left in me was gone. I picked myself up off the floor and made my way to the bathroom. I didn’t want to risk her seeing me so I just used the dim flashlight on my phone. I brushed my teeth and rinsed my face. I thought that would make me feel better, more alert. I was wrong.

Once I had finished, I heard a knock at the door, followed by a scream. It was deep, unlike the shrieks previously heard from the girl. Something in me clicked. I mustered the strength to peek outside. There were blue and red lights flashing, signaling help had arrived. But, something was wrong. The lights from the car further illuminated my lawn. There were two mangled bodies left inside of, what I can only describe as, the altar. Remnants of black uniforms informed me of who they were: police. Another guttural howl was heard, this time, only a few feet away from my window.

I did the only thing I could think of, and that was to hide.

That brings me to the now. I’m in my towel closet. There are two dead bodies in the snow and something outside of my house. Something. . .not human. I don’t know when she, or it, or whatever the fuck you want to call it, will get inside, but my gut is saying that she will. I couldn’t have picked a worse spot to hide. I feel like the idiot friend in a horror movie that gets plucked off first.

Please, if you’re reading this, protect yourself this holiday season. Don’t let it know you’re there. Don’t be like me. Please, save yourself and your family.

I just heard something come down the chimney- and it’s not Santa. She’s inside.

---
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets