Skip to main content

Can't See Without My Glasses


“Sweetie, now are you sure you don’t want to take your glasses off for tonight?”

I shake my head firmly. Mom sighs and casts her eyes to her sewing machine, as if to suggest that her hours dedicated to my Indiana Jones costume were a waste. Stepping in, Dad chides her for her competitiveness, reminding Mom that it’s only a Halloween costume.

My prescription isn’t actually that bad. Even though I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 6, I can see well enough without them to get by for a few hours. And yet, there’s absolutely no way I’m leaving them at home.

Not tonight of all nights.

The evening’s trick-or-treating starts off being mostly uneventful. As usual, I go from door to door with my younger sister, eagerly collecting our fill of sugary treats.

Before we can reach the last house on the street, however, we run directly into a band of neighbourhood kids. Dressed to the nines as ghouls, witches and the like, they respond to me with their standard greeting. A fist strikes me hard across the face, sending me crashing to the ground and my glasses skittering sideways. Pointing and laughing, the bullies unleash taunt after taunt.

“Had a feeling we’d see you here, nerd!”

“No explorer I know wears glasses, geek!

“You should have come as an alien instead, four-eyes!”

After crushing my basket under their feet, my tormenters take off towards the final house, clutching fistfuls of stolen candy. My little sister, mortified, runs straight home.

Unbothered, I gather my spectacles and polish them against my sleeve. Just like I do at the end of every Halloween, I sneak towards the break in Mr Tillman’s fence, positioning myself directly in front of his living room window.

From my vantage point, I can’t see what’s going on at the door- but I can hear the doorbell. I hear Mr Tillman greet my neighbourhood “friends” and hear their impish cackles turn to horrified screams. I hear the swishing of tentacles, the snapping of beak and the scraping of fingernails against floorboards. And finally, as the turmoil moves into the living room, I see…everything.

For the next hour, I sit back and watch with pleasure as my favourite neighbour devours some treats of his very own.

I know that wearing glasses while trick-or-treating can be an awful hassle.

But some things are just worth viewing in HD.

---
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets