Skip to main content

The Special Knock


My husband locked me in the spare bedroom hours ago. I was lying on the couch in the living room, reading, when he called out for me. I found him in the spare room and when I walked in, he pushed past me and locked the door.

I thought he was pranking me or joking around but he said, “it’s safe in here. Do not make a sound. I’m not kidding Grace. When you hear this knock, it’s safe to come out. If the door unlocks but you don’t hear that knock, do not open the door.” Then he knocked a special knock.

“Repeat it, so I know you know it,” he called.

“What the hell is going on? Jack this isn’t funny. You better let me out right now,” I shouted, banging on the door.

“Do the goddamn knock Grace. Do not make a sound. I’m serious. I’ll tell you when it’s safe. I love you.”

I’d never heard him sound so aggressive. I repeated his knock, and then I heard him walk away.

I paced the room. I was worried but I trusted Jack. I sat by the door for awhile hoping I’d hear something but there was only silence. I looked out the window afterwards, but all I could see was the house next to ours, and not much else.

I decided to take a nap to pass the time. I wasn’t sure when Jack would be back and I was getting restless. Eventually I fell asleep and I dreamt that I was chained to the bed and that I was being watched. I woke up in a sweat.

I was tempted to call out to Jack but I could hear a noise. I walked over to the door slowly and could very clearly hear heavy breathing coming from right outside the door. I tried to look through the crack under the door and saw a dark shadow.

Suddenly I could hear knocks on the door. It wasn’t the same special knock that Jack had done. The knocks got louder and louder and soon it sounded like someone slamming their whole body against the door.

I covered my mouth just in case, but I didn’t scream. I looked around the room for something I could use as a weapon, but the spare room is scarcely decorated. I picked up the lamp, hoping it’d suffice.

The knocks/slams eventually stopped and the house again became silent other than my heavy breathing. I stood at the door ready with my lamp for what felt like eternity.

The footsteps started a long time later. First they were moving so quickly and quietly, but then the became slow and loud. With every heavy thud, they were getting louder and louder. Closer and closer.

Whoever was there unlocked the door. Then I heard the knock. Jack’s special knock. “You can come out now Grace.”

It didn’t sound like Jack though. It sounded like someone mimicking Jack.

I didn’t dare speak. I stood there, clutching my lamp, holding my breath, saying a silent prayer.

“YOU CAN COME OUT NOW GRACE!” The voice yelled over and over, piercing my ears. And then again, the silence.

Every so often I can hear the sound of chains. And every so often the footsteps approach the door and do Jack’s special knock, and I’m told I can come out. The mimic is getting closer and closer to the sound of my Jack, but I know it’s not him. I know it’s not safe.

---
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets