Skip to main content

In the Dark Places


You know that feeling you get when you’re alone in the dark? The one that’s not there in the daylight, or if there’s someone else there beside you? You may have discussed this feeling with your friends, laughed it off as you tell them you found yourself running up the stairs last night, hardly daring but unable to stop yourself glancing back down into the dark. Everyone knows that feeling.

Right now there’s a woman in the basement store room of her office building, searching through a box of files with a torch for last years’ tax return. The air is very still, but the hairs on the back of her next are rising as though there’s a breeze. She glances back over her shoulder towards the door, but sees nothing. She flicks through the papers a little faster, suddenly desperate for the gentle hubbub of the office above her. The moment, for her at least, is endless.

There’s a young man walking home from the bus stop, down a short path enveloped by trees. It cuts five minutes from his journey, and he always takes it without thinking. But once he’s on the path, out of the soft orange glow of the street lights, he regrets his decision. Every whisper of the wind, every rustle of the leaves makes him cast his eyes back behind him. In another minute or so he will emerge onto his street and forget about this feeling completely. Until next time.

Somewhere else, there’s a girl in the shower washing her hair. This is usually a mundane task that she completes with barely a thought, but tonight she is alone on the house and something is different. She keeps opening her eyes, soap burning her retinas, to confirm that the bathroom is still empty. She feels exposed, in a way that she never does when her parents are downstairs watching the television – unseen, but their presence still comfortingly known.

Another one, in the living room of a shared flat – the flatmate left an hour or so ago. Through an archway in the corner of their eye is the dark, empty space of the kitchen. They realise that their eyes keep drifting over to that space, until they are staring wide-eyed at the blackness. They lick their lips, thirsty. They do not venture into the dark kitchen for a much-craved glass of water.

People have tried, in the past, to isolate and examine this feeling. Find a reason for its being, explain it away with science and comforting, natural logic. They’ve all failed, of course. The feeling is not natural, because what it perceives is not natural.

You always tell yourself that you’re just being paranoid, and that it’s just the leftover spooks from that last horror film you watched. But I’m afraid that feeling is very real. It’s primal, and it knows. It puts you on high alert because it senses danger, and the eerie feelings come from not being able to perceive it with your first five senses.

Of course, there is an easier way of describing this feeling, this thing that comes over you in the dark empty spaces you find yourself in from time to time.

It’s me.

Now turn out the light, will you?

---
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets