Skip to main content

Tension


The headaches were there in the beginning. I remember the pain better than I remember my first words or my first day at school.

Mum used to say, “Donny Gladfield. You think too much. You’ll stress yourself out.”

But despite my greatest attempts. Despite meditation, alcohol, smoking, all the good and bad you can name as an escape —the tension at the top of my skull never went away.

My first doctor wrote it off as psychological. But I wasn’t psycho-anything. The pain, for me, was all too real.

I happened to be clever —an overachiever. The advice given by parents and teachers was to not be so hard on myself, I was doing great already. I took their advice at face value.

I learned to live with it.

By the time 28 rolled around, I was used to the pain. I had my own place; I was dating a girl; I had a good job. The tension was part of who I was. In fact, something about being in this state of despair made me work harder, it made me want to prove that the pain meant something. Almost as if I had to rid myself of the burden.

Dayna and I decided to start a family. It had been both of our dreams. A family would make us happy.

We tried. We tried so hard. This time the doctor said that I had to relax, that the stress was harming our chances.

Several months later, Dayna left me. She said I was miserable. I was. She said I needed to get myself sorted. I needed to get rid of whatever I was holding onto. I needed help.

All I wanted was to live a normal life.

This time, I was put in line for an MRI at my local. The pain had never been worse. What had once been an ache on my skull had spread to my neck and shoulders.

The doctor stared at his computer screen, sweat beading across his forehead.

“I’m not sure how to say this,” he said.

“Spit it out, doc.”

The doctor paused. “You have a tumor at the base of your skull.”

“Shit,” I said.

“Thats not all,” the doctor said. “It’s growing hair and teeth and arms and legs. It’s been living inside of you for god knows how long.”

I swallowed, trying to process what he had said.

“Its fingers have been prying away at the inside of your skull for . . . for what looks like years.”

“Come off it,” I said.

“We’ve got days maybe hours, Mr. Gladfield. We must act.”

The pressure at the top of my head increased. There was a sharp prick from inside the skin and a warm dribble rolled down the back of my neck.

--
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets