Skip to main content

Medium


I've been wanting to talk to my father for months now. But I haven't been able to. I'm so lonely now. I would give anything to talk to him, even if it was only for a minute.

I've tried to send him a message. I've tried everything. I get no response every time I call out his name. Of course I don't. What's the use of it? I know he won't talk back.

And yet, I keep trying.

I was watching T.V. a couple days ago. In my current state, watching T.V. is pretty much the only thing I'm able to do. Watching T.V. keeps me from bursting into tears when I think of all the things I did with my dad. Keeps me from remembering I won't be able to do them again, or that I'll never be able to talk to him, or tell him I love him. At least not until we are both on the other side, and who knows how long that'll be. T.V. pushes the grief down a little.

So, I'm sitting there, watching the channels flick, when I see one of those psychic shows. You know what I'm talking about. I never believed in psychics, but now I'm getting desperate. I really want to talk to my dad. I want her to come here so I can speak to him.

After a couple days of hoping, she came. She was tall, with her hair tucked in a bun. She looked very sweet. I ran up to her and just about talked her ear off. After a minute, I realized I was probably overwhelming her.

"Sorry, miss. I just-"

And then I noticed. She wasn't even looking at me.

She was a fraud. And my father was clearly believing her lies.

"My son died 3 months ago. He was only sixteen. Can you talk to him, wherever he is?"

I'm right here.

"I can sense a sadness within him. Did he cause his death in some way?"

"I-I found him hanging in his closet."

"He wants to let me know he's sorry he caused you so much pain. He wants to let you know the next world is better than the one he was living in."

That's not true! I didn't kill myself. Dad, your ex-girlfriend put sleeping pills in my food. She wrote the note. Please, hear me.

"How could I not have seen he needed help? God, this is all my fault. I-I've failed as a parent!"

"It's okay. He's not suffering anymore."

Yes, I am. And you are the one causing it, you liar.

As my father breaks down crying, I try desperately to console him, but he can't hear me.

---
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets