Skip to main content

Washington, Oregon, 1974


I hate my hair. It’s so plain and boring: mousy brown and poker straight. The only thing it has going for it is its length, which is midway down my back. Still, it’s impossible to put in any other style than the one I’ve been sporting since I was twelve - loose and parted in the middle.

Plain hair framing a plain face. Which is why, on a Friday evening, I’m sitting cross-legged on my bed, listening to Stevie Wonder records and idly running a brush through my hair, instead of on a date, like my dorm mate Rachael, who is blonde and bosomy.

Sighing and tossing the brush aside, I pull on a cardigan and go out for a walk along the campus. Outdoors is dusky and tepid, with a gentle breeze lifting the strands of hair I so loathe. My head is down as I walk to avoid anyone I might know. I’m just not in the mood for any interaction.

And that’s when I bump into him.

I can hear the thump of books falling on the ground. Immediately I bend down to retrieve them, apologies tumbling from my lips. “I’m so so sorry, I --” Wow. He’s good-looking. Really good-looking; unlike the boys I’ve seen around here. Thick dark hair. Great bone structure. So well-dressed...and his arm in a sling.

“Oh my God. Now I really feel bad.”

“It’s ok; don’t worry about it. It’s fine.” His voice is smooth and deep, with a faint accent I can’t quite place. “I’m the one who thought I could carry all these books with just one arm.”

I don’t realize that I’m still holding onto the books until he reaches for them. “Here, let me --”

I’m not sure where my boldness is coming from, as I don’t socialize with boys all that much. But despite him being the best-looking guy I’ve ever seen, my ability to talk is as easy as breathing. “Where are you headed? I can carry these for you if you like. So you don’t drop them again.”

His smile is knee-weakening. “I would like that, very much. I’m just heading to my car,” he says, jerking his head in the direction of the parking lot. On the way there, he compliments my hair. I respond by blushing and dropping my head so it falls in my face like a curtain, telling him how much I hate it.

“Well, I think it’s just lovely.” And I believe him.

We reach his Volkswagen Beetle. Still feeling bold as I watch him unlock his car, I say, “I’m Sabina, by the way. What’s your name?”

“Theodore.” He opens the door and turns to look at me; this time his smile is accompanied by an odd hardness in his eyes. “But you can call me Ted.”

---
Credits

Comments

Nobody said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets