Skip to main content

Troublesome Boy


It started around puberty. The defiance, the swearing. Locking his bedroom door, playing loud music. I don’t know when he started using drugs. He didn’t have money to keep up with the habit, so he started selling them. Then he started stealing.

I tried talking to him, but he wouldn’t listen. Sometimes he shouted over me, or raised his fists. His step-father, Bill, intervened once, and wound up with a black eye.

It was ruining our marriage.

Bill spent long days outside, driving the fields over and over with harrows, loosening up dirt for planting. We barely talked. We were never intimate.

So, when I found Joey’s note on the counter last Friday, announcing he’d gone to live with his father, as much as I was upset, I was also relieved. Bill rubbed my back while I sobbed, and it was me, not him, that said, “Maybe this is for the best.”

I put Joey out of my mind as best as I could for the weekend.

And it worked. I actually found myself smiling for the first time in months.

On Monday, I decided to call his father to make sure he had arrived all right, make sure he was eating, make sure he wasn’t in jail already.

“The little shit never came here,” his father said.

I collapsed on the floor.

“What do you mean?” Bill asked, as startled as I was.

I called the police, I called the hospitals, I even called the fire department. Their calmness in the face of my despair was maddening.

Finally, I tried calling Joey.

It rang endlessly. Then it went to voicemail.

“I’m not here, so fuck off,” said my son’s recorded voice.

“Leave him a message,” Bill suggested. “He’ll call back soon, I’m sure.”

But I needed to talk to him NOW.

I called again. And again. On probably the tenth call, I began to hear something.

It was faint, but I could swear I heard Joey’s phone ringing, somewhere in the distance. He must have been squatting out in one of the old barns on the property, where we stored hay and farm equipment.

“It’s raining, Mary,” Bill called after me. He hadn’t heard the ringing.

I kept redialing every time it went to voicemail.

I followed it backward and forward across the horse paddocks, louder here, quieter there, listening intently to discover where it was coming from. I expected to be drawn toward one of the barns, but instead I found myself circling back, over and over, to a specific spot in the middle of an empty field.

To some freshly churned soil where Bill had been planning to plant.

I dialed again, and lowered my ear to the dirt. I could hear the phone ringing. Louder than anywhere else.

Bill, I saw, had caught up to me.

“Bill…” I began, my voice shaky. “Did you…?”

He swallowed hard, not meeting my gaze.

“He was tearing us apart,” he explained.

---
Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets