Skip to main content

Friendship Forever


It’s been a while since I’ve seen Marie. A little too old for a friend for a 14-year-old girl like me, but, what the heck! She’s not so bad!

She’s a 17-year-old girl with short hair like Haruka Tenoh. She’s short and plump but not that fat. She had a sum of pimples (everyone does) and she’s cheerful and bright. That’s what I like about her: cheerful and bright.

A lot of people think of us as Haruka Tenoh and Michiru Kaioh because we both got the hairstyle like they do, although we don’t really seem much like them with our height. Too far off! She is shorter than me, for crying out loud!

Actually, I just don’t get the idea why my classmates dislike me when she’s around. What are they thinking of anyway? What’s their problem? Even my parents despised having her around and gave me a stern warning never to be too close with her. What the heck are they thinking about?!

I’ve told that to Marie but she just smiled and said, “Let them be, OK?” What is it that makes them hate her? I must find out the truth!

That was when I hardly ever saw her.

It has been a while.

Too long for a while.

--:--

“Pam, have you seen my sister?”

“Who?”

“My sister, Marie Williams.”

“Oh, her.”

Pam Anderson is her classmate. I noticed that Marie and her were also real close. Today she looked so solemn when I mentioned her. I always treated Marie like a sister, so wherever I go, I called her ‘Sister’ in front of others. Just to show off, actually.

“Hadn’t seen her for a couple of days.”

“Do you know what happened to her?”

“No. why are you so obsessed with her anyway? She’s not really your sister, right?” Pam gave me a glance which seemed sinister enough.

“Come on, you should know! You’re her friend…”

“Shut up! Don’t even mention about her, OK?!”

That seemed impolite. How dare she snap at me? I snapped back at her with the same tone she gave me, “Hey, I only wanted to know what happened, that’s all! It’s not that you guys had a fight, is it?! What’s your problem, huh??”

Pam was quite taken aback by the tone of my voice and said, “Well, sorry if I’m rude. Here, take this map. It’ll take you where she lives.”

She didn’t seem sorry when she tossed me the map, but it helped. I soon found her home at the end of a twisted road surrounded by oak trees and sinister-looking bushes. Wow! This seemed ‘welcoming’.

DING DONG! I pressed the doorbell for the third time since I’ve reached Marie’s house. Finally the door opened. An alive and robust-looking lady poked her head out of the door, “Yes?”

“M…Mrs. Williams?”

“Yes, who are you, may I ask?”

“Is this the Williams residence?”

“Yup, you are…?”

“I’m Jerry Camellia. Is Marie Williams in?”

“Oh, Jerry! Come in, come in!”

Though the surrounding seemed sinister, the inside looked nice. Pots and vases of flowers could be seen almost everywhere and the smell was stunningly super and soothing. The marble floor glittered under the midday sun and the furry feeling of the living room carpet tingled under my toes.

Mrs. Williams came with a tray full of goodies. There were cupcakes and cheesecakes and a teapot of sweet-smelling tea. Usually I don’t find tea nice but this tea is superb. Made my tummy churn with pleasure.

“Like my tea? It’s made of herbs and mixed with mint. Goes well with titbits.”

Wow, seems like a hundred years since this family had a guest in their house. I never knew Mrs. Williams was quite a chatterbox.

“Mrs. Williams, mind if you tell me…where is Marie?” I tried to change the subject.

“Dear me, don’t call me ‘Mrs. Williams’, I feel so old. Just call me ‘Aunt Willy’.”

Eew! Stop making my skin creep! This lady was definitely robust…on the mouth!

“Aunt Willy, where is Marie?”

“Oh, sorry. I can be so forgetful. She’s at the garden drawing. Be gentle with her, she’s been quite sick lately.”

Sick? Why didn’t I know that? I ran to the garden as fast as I could. There, I saw her, drawing a ‘Yuyu Hakusho’ poster. Dear me, Japanese comics seemed really influencing to an American girl like Marie Williams.

“Hey, Haruka my man,” I called her. She turned to me and smiled.

“Hello, Michiru.” Her voice sounded like as if she just used up an effort of strength. She was sick.

“I’m so worried about you, Haruka. Why didn’t you come to school? Your mom said you’re sick.”

“Yeah, she’s right. I am sick.”

“What sickness you got? Flu? Fever? Cough? Anything?” I touched her forehead. Temperature okay. She’s not sniffling or anything. She just kept quiet.

“Here, I brought you the book you wanted to borrow,” I handed her the ‘Slam Dunk’ comic book.

“Thanks.”

“You sure you’re OK, man?”

“I’m fine, Michiru, I’m fine.”

--:--

“Can’t you just stop seeing that ‘sister’ of yours?” Dang it, it’s that stupid nosey girl, Heidi Foster.

“That’s none of your concern,” I replied.

“Yes, it does. You’re our friend…”

“I am not your friend, OK?! A friend doesn’t hate someone else’s friend and keeps telling that someone to stay away from her!”

“But…”

“A friend doesn’t just act as if they’re some kind of a know-it-all chump, as if they know what’s good for someone!”

“Jerry…”

“So just keep your bullshit to yourself because I don’t wanna hear about it!!”

That was the first time I ever spat out everything. Usually when they talk something bad about Marie, I just kept my mouth shut. But this time they have gone too far. I’ve got to shut their pie-hole up before they get even worse.

It’s been days since I started visiting Marie. I marched straight to her hours almost everyday after school. Usually I would go shopping with Heidi and the gang, but now I stuck my plain butt at Marie’s chair and chatted with like there was no tomorrow.

One day, when I came to her house, she was lying on bed. Her mom said she was too weak to walk to the garden to wait for me. I walked to her room and oh! how beautiful it was. Her room was of soft-coloured paint and was full of neatly stuck Sailor Moon posters. I could see the New Queen Serenity and Princess Lady Serenity on the door, smiling under the light of the moon in the poster stuck on the door, welcoming me in. her floor was covered with soft lining carpet. She had the most beautiful antique desk I have ever seen in my life. She also had a cupboard filled with all the Japanese comics her father sent her by mail while he works in Japan; all translated in English.

But there’s one thing that spoiled this beautiful atmosphere: Marie. She was turning pale and thin, and I can’t consider her getting taller. Her short, Haruka-style hair ran decoratively all over that lovely turquoise-coloured pillow with light blue frills around it. Her blanket was of a lovely silver blue, thick and ran down over her toes. Bottles of liquid and antibiotics filled the tiny bedside table. I couldn’t believe that her condition could get so bad. She used to be so healthy and strong when I came across her. Still, Marie just won’t tell me what was she sick of.

Marie was sleeping when I came in. I stroked her hair. Her face…oh, she looked so calm, as if she’s just letting this whole thing torture her. As if she wanted this sickness to get her. I hate it! I just hate it! Why her? Why not me? I can take it! Why Marie, my lovely sister? I cried. My crying woke her up.

“Yo, Michiru my girl, why the long face?” she smiled. Those dimples. I love those dimples.

“Nothing, really, Haruka…” I can’t tell her. I just hate to admit it.

“I know, you’re sad about me, right?”

I kept my mouth shut.

“Don’t worry, Michiru, I’m gonna be fine…”

“Liar…” I blurted out. My lower lip was quivering. I sobbed and laid my face on her blanket. She stroked my wavy hair and sighed.

The next day, I secretly asked Aunt Willy about Marie’s problem. She was reluctant at first but after much persuasion and begging blurting out all sorts of promises, she finally agreed.

“Marie has AIDS,” she replied.

“AIDS? Marie having AIDS?” I couldn’t believe what I’ve just heard.

“Yes. The doctor forgot to change the needles when she got her Rubella shot a few months ago. Those antibiotics are just enough to keep her from the pain.”

“But…it’s not working to keep her alive, right, Aunt Willy…?” I asked tentatively.

Aunt Willy lost her robust expression almost immediately after I asked her that question. Dang it, I’ve asked something stupid. Something definitely stupid.

“I’m…I’m sorry, Aunt Willy…”

“No, no, it’s OK, my child. We never really intended to keep her for too long anyway.”

“Meaning…?”

“No one can cheat death once they got AIDS. If we do, Marie would only suffer. Do you understand what I mean, my child?”

Yeah, I got what she meant. No one can live in the hands of AIDS. If they get it, then they’re like taking the key to the door of Death. I cautiously walked up to her room to make sure she’s OK. She was sitting on her bed reading her Yuyu Hakusho comic book. She looked up and said, “She told you, right?”

“Told me what?”

“You know what I’m talking about.”

“Don’t blame her! It was my fault! I pushed her…”

“It’s OK, I know you might ask my mom and find out about this sooner or later. No biggie.”

“Marie…my dear Harukea Tenoh…I don’t want you to die…” I knelt beside her bed. Tears began to well up and my vision has been fogged by the water in my eyes.

“It’s gonna be alright. Just let it go…”

“I don’t care! I don’t care! I don’t want you to die! I don’t want you to die!!” I wailed and shook my head desperately.

Marie touched my head as firm as she could, “Jerry…Michiru…Don’t cry…” Her voice sounded all choked up. Was she crying? Yes, I noticed it. I knew it.

We both sobbed with each other. That was the first time I saw Marie cry. She sounded sad and scared. Scared that the Father of Death will come and take her away any time. I half wished that God hadn’t created Death, then all will prosper and live for eternity.

At school, Pam came to my class to see me. I went out, knowing that Torture Tan the Mathematics teacher was not in yet, and greeted her.

“Hey, Jerry, how’s Marie? She hasn’t come to school for months now.”

I looked away, pretending not to hear her. I shan’t tell anything to a person who only knew to show concern at the very last minute.

“Jerry, are you listening to me?”

“I thought you couldn’t care less.”

“OK, so I did sound a little harsh back then. Sorry, OK? May I know how Marie is?”

“Do you not know that she’s sick?” I know that voice anywhere: Heidi.

“I know that she’s sick, but sick of what? School?”

Ha ha, very funny.

“You know, the type that makes people sick and die. The type that is incurable.” That blabbermouth Heidi! How did she know?

“What is it? I don’t get it!” Pam’s temple began to crease a wrinkle of thousand. I got to keep Heidi’s mouth shut.

“Shut up, Heidi, just shut up,” I warned her but given an ignorant face as a reply.

“Oh, you know, like…AIDS.”

Stupid nosey girl! Stupid, stupid nosey girl!! I slapped her, right on the cheek there and then, and ran off. Someone must have been spying on me and told her. I don’t know who and why, but it must be someone! Could it be…Heidi herself? Dang that girl!

During the whole last period of class, I didn’t even peek at Heidi. I didn’t even feel the slightest bit of guilt for slapping her. In fact, just looking at her got me on my nerves. How did she know that Marie has AIDS? She must have been spying on me. I could imagine her—wearing a suit of elastic tight fitting clothes, carrying binoculars ad secret spying cameras. She might have probably put in a few of them right now at Marie’s house while she’s asleep.

After school I ran straight to Marie’s. Aunt Willy was surprised of my ‘rush visit’. I was scanning up and down the hall and the ceilings to check if any cameras were placed there as soon as she opened the door.

“Are you alright, Jerry? Is there something wrong with my house?” Aunt Willy asked me. I smiled and shook my head. Fortunate for Heidi, there were none. Then how did she know?

Then I slowly realized what all these means. Suppose that they knew it long ago? Suppose my parents heard rumours about Marie having AIDS and told me to keep away from her so that I won’t catch it from her? But where did these rumours come from? That I don’t know.

I walked upstairs with all the rubbish rattling on my head. I knocked on Marie’s door. Ah…that New Queen Serenity and Princess Lady Serenity poster smiling at me again. I feel so warm and yet so…sad. Marie didn’t answer the door. I walked in and saw her sleeping again. That AIDS thing is really getting into her. She blinked her eyes open when I shut the door behind me.

“Oh, I’m sorry I woke you, Haruka,” I quickly apologized. One thing I learnt was that people who get their sleep interrupted sure could become bad tempered sometimes.

“It’s OK. I can’t go on sleeping like this now, can I? I’m turning into a pig!” she smiled and tried to sit up. I helped her.

“That stupid Heidi! She knew about your sickness when I didn’t even tell her you were sick,” a mumble came out of my anxious mouth.

“Don’t worry, let her be,” she tapped my temple and grinned. “I won’t be at school to hear about her stupid stuff or any other gossips anyway. They’re bound to find out sooner or later, just like you finding out about me before.”

“Don’t you think it’s bothering? You know, to have someone lash her tongue over someone else’s ear when it is against their rights to do it?”

“You don’t say,” Marie grinned. “I used to get loads of those incidents when I was your age. Talking stuff they’re not supposed to talk at all. It gets old.”

I chuckled. I knew that Marie wasn’t as bad as it seemed to Heidi. Heidi’s just jealous of us, that’s all. No big deal talking about her. I laid my head on the blanket that covered Marie’s legs and said, “Things shouldn’t be this way, Haruka. It’s just not fair…”

“Life is cruel, Michiru. It always has been.”

I don’t know how Marie can take all this. I just don’t know.

That night, while I was having a shower, I heard the phone ring. Father picked it up and I could hear him talk, “Yes, Camellia residence. Oh, just a minute…Jerry!! It’s your phone, from Mrs. Williams!”

Aunt Willy? How did she know my phone number? Did Marie tell her? Is it…? I ran to answer it with the extension phone in my room. I called out to Father “Hang up!” and answered the phone with a tremble in my voice, “Hello?”

“Jerry, it’s me, Aunt Willy,” her voice sounded uncomfortable.

“Is Marie…?”

“Please come. She wants to see you.”

“…OK.”

I had to lie that Heidi called and that mrs. Williams was her aunt, though I hate to mention about her. I ran as fast as I could to Marie’s house. The oak trees and sinister bushes looked colder than ever, which worried me dreadfully. Aunt Willy gave me a worried but grateful welcome. Her husband and her 3 married sons were there.

“We did all we could,” Mr. Williams, who was a doctor, explained. “She requested to see you.”

I walked upstairs. She looked paler and weaker, and thinner too. That’s the condition I feared the most.

“Haruka?”

“Michiru…” she tried to smile, just enough to show her lovely dimples. Oh, stop it, please.

“Haruka, are you OK?” Stupid question.

“Do I look better?” she asked, trying to sound playfully sarcastic.

“Please, Haruka…don’t tell me…”

“Yes, my time…has come…”

“Oh, please…”

She stroked my hair. I cried. I just can’t bear it. I just can’t…

“You promised me, Haruka…You promised me you won’t die…” I sobbed.

“I know, but I can’t stop it. You know…how AIDS do their ‘job’…”

“Murderer!” I cursed the stupid bullshit virus that was inside her.

Suddenly I felt a warm presence. A very warm and lovely one. As if it’s waiting to take Marie away. I understood, though I couldn’t see it. I can see it in Marie’s eyes that she, too, knew that presence was here.

“Will…I ever gonna see you again?” I whispered in tears.

“Someday…in our next life…I could be your sister…”

I smiled, then nodded to mean that I was letting her go. She nodded and closed her eyes.

We’ll meet again, Marie. We will.

And we will be friends again.

Forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets