Skip to main content

Bitter-Sweet Night


A sweet-smelling fragrance filled the cool night air as I sat at my table doing my revision. The smell was, no doubt, coming from my neighbour’s house.

I turned my chair towards the window and looked. Puan Aishah, my neighbour, was taking out a tray of delicious-looking muffins while waiting for the kettle to boil. I envy her daughter, Suzana. Her mother is always there to meet her needs. Even her midnight snacks were not excluded. I am sure that she is going to go through her revisions really well with all those muffins filling her empty stomach.

I, on the other hand, can never have what she had. My parents passed away years ago in an accident, leaving me to take care of my three siblings who are still schooling. Everyday after school, I had to rush to three different schools to pick up my sister, Soo Lee and my brothers, Soo Meng and Soo Kiong. After preparing their lunch, I had to change into my work clothes and rush to Venga Restaurant, where I can earn money to support my siblings and myself. I always look forward to the night where I can finish my schoolwork and do my revision. This is the only time where I can find peace, especially after I had done all the housework and tucked my siblings to sleep.

I continued looking as Puan Aishah brought the snacks up to Suzana’s room. Suzana’s table was piled with revision books, workbooks and even small pocket books for extra revision. Suzana stopped when her mother placed the tray of snacks in front of her. From there, I could hear their conversation.

“How are you doing, dear? I hope it is not too hard for you,” Puan Aishah said as she passed the cup of tea to her.

“Don’t worry, mak. I will be fine. You go to bed first. I shall retire aafter I finish revising my Biology,” she smiled as she shoved her mother to the door. Puan Aishah smiled and kissed Suzana goodnight.

I could not help but cry. Everything that they did reminded me of the same thing that my mother did when I was preparing for my UPSR examination. She was kind and loving, and always giving me support and encouragement along the way. Now I have lost it all. No one was by my side when I was preparing for my PMR examination. No one bought me revision books or prepared me a steaming hot coffee when I burnt the midnight oil. I was alone…So alone…

Suddenly I heard someone knocking on the front gate. I quickly dried my eyes and rushed out. Who could be visiting me at this hour? I went to the gate and saw Suzana with her books, a small paper bag and a big green flask.

“Am I bothering you?” she asked. I shook my head and let her in. she went into my kitchen and asked me if I could lend her some of my cutlery. I said yes and went into my room to clean things up. She then came into my room carrying the same muffins and tea I saw before.

“Actually I heard a lot about you from my mother,” she explained. “I am very sorry about your parents’ death and I would really like to be your friend and help out whenever I can. But it seems like you looked pretty occupied and busy, so it was hard for me to get close to you.”

I was stunned. Since my family and I moved here, I never had many friends. And here, right now, there is someone who actually wanted to be my friend and actually wanted to help me out!

“I heard and saw from your PMR results that you did well, although it wasn’t the flying colours that you expected. I really want to be your friend, Soo Cheng, and help you out with your needs. I know I won’t be as good as your mother but I least I’ll try.”

I cried again, not in sadness, but in happiness. All these while, I thought I was all alone, but in the end, someone came and wanted to help me out and change my life for the better. Finally, I have someone whom I can depend on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets