Skip to main content

My Fears (An Essay)



Fear is a part and parcel of life. Everyone has fears of their own. The fear, or known by scientists as phobia, can change one’s way of life almost completely. But if overcome, they will be able to live life better.

To be frank, I have three fears. My first fear is of the dark. Every time I turn off the lights, everything I see looks scary, and I begin to imagine things. My uniform that hangs at my door looks like an eerie-looking headless ghost, my chair looks as if someone is sitting on it, my posters look like menacing faces with glaring eyes and so on. Even my harmless dolls look creepy. There is a cause for my fear; it was when I was three years old, my cousins played a trick on me by locking me up in a pitch-dark store room where broken toys and old boxes were kept. Then they forgot about me and I spent the whole night in that store room. It was not scary at first, but when my imagination ran wild, everything was a threat. I was found the next morning, suffering a minor shock. Since then I can never sleep without my nightlights on.

My second fear is of heights. Also known as acrophobia, I would shudder just standing on a spot only one foot in height. As I live in an apartment, I would never go out to hang or take in the washing because I just cannot stand looking from the first floor. There is also a cause for this fear of mine. I was sitting on the roof top at my old home back then, before I moved to the apartment, enjoying my morning sunbath. Not long after, I notice my neighbour’s cat was stuck on my roof and could not get down. I went over to bring it in but somehow one of the tiles was loose and I slipped and fell down from the roof of my double-storeyed house and landed in the garden. Though safe with only a few cuts and bruises, I never look down from another high spot again.

My third and last fear is being alone. Though my parents travel outstation ever since I was a child, I am still not used to being alone in the house. Being the only child in the family, just sitting alone in my own room gives me the creeps. I do not know what the cause is, but maybe it is because of my wild imagination. When I am on my own in the house, I keep getting this feeling that someone is out there to get me. I have to count to three before I have the nerve to open my closet. Even worse, especially at night, whenever I move around the house, I have this uncanny feeling that something or somebody is behind me, watching my every move, ready to strike. To get over this fear is really hard, so I have to keep my house as noisy as possible by turning on the television or listening to loud music.

Now that I am older, my fears have grown smaller. I have overcome my fear of the dark by shutting my eyes and try not to think scary thoughts. I have overcome my fear pf heights by training myself to look down from high spots and try not to feel too scared about it. I feel much better now after I have succeeded in coping with these senseless fears of mine.

As for the fear of being alone? Well, let’s just say I still need more training.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets