Skip to main content

The Golden Princess


There was once a beautiful Princess who lived in a golden castle with her doting parents and an old aunt as a governess. The Princess was as golden as her castle. She let down her long hair over the battlements and admirers threaded daisies and buttercups through the shining locks.

They begged the Princess to come out of the golden castle but she never would. She smiled at them sweetly but she shook her hair free of their flowers. At dusk she swept up her hair, coiled it neatly in a golden crown on top of her head, and went inside the castle.

She assured her doting family that she would never be charmed away from the golden castle but every night in her turret room she would paint a portrait of a handsome Prince. She was so talented a painter that the governess felt inadequate instructing her, so the Royal Family hired a special tutor, an impoverished young artist.

The Princess started when she saw him. He looked exactly like her portrait of the imaginary Prince. She couldn’t help falling in love with him. He threaded rosebuds and forget-me-nots throughout her long hair, and hung ripe cherries on her tiny ears.

The Royal Family was distraught when they saw their Princess, fragrant with crushed flowers, stained with sweet juice. But the Princess seemed so very happy they tried to rejoice for her sake. They prepared an elaborate wedding feast and the Princess and the artist made their vows and went to live in a city garret many miles away from the golden palace. It seemed very empty without the Princess. The very gold tarnished.

Then the Princess sent word that she was going to have a child. But the Princess did not bloom. The spring went from her step. Her long locks lost their shine and seemed thinner every day. Strands spiraled to the ground as she walked, enough to bind into a long golden cord.

The artist was very frightened. He picked the Princess up in his arms and carried her all the way to the golden palace. He begged the Royal Family to help him take care of her. They put their darling child to bed and nursed her tenderly but the Princess grew steadily weaker. The child within her seemed to sap all her strength.

Then the Princess started screaming in great pain. She screamed hour after hour until at last the child was born. It was not a tiny golden Princess. It was a mewling goblin creature with hair the colour of hellfire. As it burst into the world the Princess gave one last gasp and died.

The artist flung himself on her breasts and wept. The King and the Queen clung to each other in their despair. The governess cried brokenly. The newborn child cried too but no one could bear to touch it.

They buried the Princess in the palace garden, planting a willow by the graveside. The artist lay on top of the grave, whispering through the earth to his decaying love. He could not endure their separation. He took the long golden cord of hair and hung himself from the willow tree.

The King and the Queen and the governess grew stooped and silent with grief. Dust carpeted the marble floors of the golden palace. Spider’s webs grew thick as nets. The only sound was the constant wailing of the goblin child.

Oh, how it wailed…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets