Skip to main content

Because of A Fight


The plane that I was on has finally reached its destination: Taiwan. I got off the plane immediately and ran towards the check-in point. After taking care of everything, I strained to search for my friend Roy. He promised that he would be meeting me here.

“Hey! Jay Jay! Over here!” I turned towards Roy’s voice that was right behind me. He was standing out there at the arrival gate waving his hand.

“Roy! Where were you? I didn’t see you! I was looking for you everywhere!” I complained as I rushed towards him.

“I’ve been right behind you all along!” Roy kissed my cheek—his way of greeting me. “You didn’t notice me.”

“Sorry.”

“Come on, my car’s waiting for us!” Roy pulled my hand impatiently. As we went out of the airport, his Volvo was really under the shade of a tree, waiting for us. I was truly fascinated with his car. If it were under the sun, it would’ve blinded my eyes with its spectacular sparkle and shine.

“What exactly is your reason calling me from so far away?” I asked as I got into the car. “Your letter you sent me sounded pretty urgent.”

“Oh, just wanting to invite you to my reunion dinner of Class ’94. You still remember our old friends now, don’t you?”

Of course I do! How could I forget? It has been 2 years since we last met before I went back to my hometown after completing my exchange student course. How wonderful it is to be able to see them again after so long! I could still remember their names: T.J., Gus, Mikey, Spinelly, Gretchen, Vince…I couldn’t help thinking back of all the wonderful things we used to share together.

“Hey, cut it out, Jay Jay! Stop dreaming!” Roy broke my musings. “We’re here!”

I realized that we were already in Roy’s home. Hmm…nothing much has changed here since the last time I stayed in this house during my exchange student days. Same flowers, same dog, same furniture…everything’s just like the way it was. Only Roy was different, what with his long shoulder-length hair, muscular body, his increased height that made him look more mature…and handsome.

“Where are your parents?” I asked, surprised at the silent atmosphere around the house.

“Oh, they’ve went on a business trip to Beijing,” Roy replied, smiling. “Don’t worry, it’s just you and me here.”

“Aren’t you afraid of being alone here?”

“No, of course not! I’m used to this—they’ve been doing that since I was a little kid. So I gotta do everything in the house and such. You’ve been living here for a while, don’t you remember them not being in the house often?”

“Sorry, bad memory span,” I grinned, pointing at my head. “But I do remember your great cooking most of the nights I stayed here.”

I sighed in admiration. I seriously admire that guy being able to be so independent and beating a girl like me at doing the housework, what with the fact that I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth, waiting to be served by my servants.

“Make yourself at home, Jay Jay. The party will start at 8 p.m. tonight,” Roy reminded me while walking towards his room. “You might wanna get cleaned up a little.”

I saw a huge notice on one of the bedroom doors that said: YOUR ROOM, JAY JAY. Hah! Typical! Just because I need glasses to see doesn’t mean you have to exaggerate about it so much. Guess he hadn’t noticed that I’ve been wearing contact lenses ever since I got back to my hometown. As I took off my clothes to get ready for tonight’s party, I noticed the weird mark again on my back when I looked into the mirror. I almost forgot about this appalling scar of mine. Mom told me that I got it in a fire accident. I don’t remember much about the fire though, although it did feel familiar, and I don’t remember where and when did I get it. The doctors said the experience was too traumatizing that I must’ve shut it out of my head.

Whatever happened and whenever it happened, it surely is not going to ruin my party spirit. Of course, I don’t want the other guys to worry about me if they see this scar on my back, so I threw off the bareback dress and decided to wear something less revealing instead.

--:--

The night has finally come. The table was all set with the food and drinks and all. We both waited patiently for the guests to come. Finally at about a few minutes after 8, our wait didn’t go wasted. One by one, all my classmates of Class ’94 came to greet me warmly.

“Hey, guys! Spinelly, you’re looking pretty today! For once you’re wearing a dress…Gus! You’ve got contacts too? Vince, how’s your game? Good? Long time no see! How are you Gretchen, Mikey? T.J., have you lost weight or gained more? Ha ha, just kidding…”

I was so glad to see them all. I greeted each and every one of my classmates from the good old Class of ’94. My voice echoed throughout the whole living room as I came to them all and chit-chatted excitedly. Then I realized that amidst all the people in tonight’s reunion party, someone was missing.

“Hey, where’s Susan?” I said the name of the missing person out loud. Suddenly the whole atmosphere became tense and utmost silent. All of them stared at me like I just announced that I’m going to jump off Mount Everest, including Roy.

“Hey, uh, guys, wh…what’s the diff here? I’m just asking. Is that a problem?” I asked, laughing nervously at all the people who have gone as pale as ghosts.

“Don’t you remember what happened to her 2 years ago?” Gretchen asked, adjusting her glasses. I shook my head.

“You really, really don’t remember anything, I mean…about the fire?” Mikey asked again.

“Well, I remember scalding my back during a fire—that’s what my mom said, but I don’t remember anything else about Susan,” I replied.

“Susan is…is dead in a suicide. You tried to save her but you got your back burnt…that’s how your back…” Gus tried to explain what Gretchen and Mikey were trying to say.

Dead?! Susan’s dead?! That’s impossible! She can’t be dead! She was my best friend! I took to my heels and ran towards the bathroom. I held up my blouse and took a look at my burnt back. I got this trying to save Susan from committing suicide? That’s impossible!! There is no way I went through a fire for that! I was in shock and in denial. Susan could never do such a stupid thing like committing suicide! There is no way! She was the most rational person I know! Why can’t I remember anything about it?? Why??

Roy came into the bathroom a few minutes later. I quickly adjusted my clothes, blushing a little and trying to hide the tears that were welling up in my eyes. I felt Roy’s hands on my shoulder as he asked, “Do you want to know the truth?”

I couldn’t say no.

--:--

The next morning, Roy took me to Susan’s home. I was shocked to see that once I got there, a devastating sight awaited me. The house was in a complete wreck. There were charcoaled wood everywhere, rubbish here and there, bricks all reduced to rubble…it was a terrible sight to behold. Hasn’t anyone come to fix Susan’s home for these 2 years?

“This home used to be a very beautiful place, really, until that accident…” Roy muttered as he lowered his head, unable to bear the sight of this appalling house.

Suddenly, everything came back to me. I began to remember everything that had happened 2 years ago. The memories that have been shut out and locked in—like the doctor had described—started to play before my very eyes…

--:--

“Jay Jay, can I talk to you for a second?”

Susan came to me all of a sudden and she had gotten straight to the point, taking me by surprise.

“Uh, yeah, sure. What is it, Susan?” I asked, overwhelmed by her sudden outspoken attitude. She used to be quite silent and all.

“Can you…Can you please stay away from Roy?” Susan asked suddenly with a serious, solemn look on her face.

“Stay away from Roy? Why?” I was surprised. Is Roy sick? So contagious that I have to keep my distance from him or something? Susan may be my best friend and cares a lot about my welfare, but this is overboard alright.

“Because…Because I like him!”

I was shocked yet again. How dare she like the same person I liked first? That is not fair! I yelled at her, “Hey, don’t play games with me, Susan! I had a crush on him first, and you know that! I told you about liking him and you were the one encouraging me to go forth and tackle him! Of all guys, why him?!”

“Because I don’t think you and he are compatible enough. Have you even tried to go up and say that you like him? Have you? You’re still hanging around here not doing anything at all! I know I’m not as beautiful as you are, but I’m not as thick-faced as you are either! You’re just in for his riches, not for his heart!”

“That’s not true! I never am into his riches! I’m into his heart, his charisma, his charm and all that! What makes you think I’m into his riches?”

“Don’t lie to me and don’t play games with me, Jay Jay. I’ve been observing you for a long time and I can see that you’re just as thick-faced as all the other girls. You don’t love him, you just love his money! Besides, you’re only an exchange student who’s gonna leave in no time at all. Long distance love won’t work, Jay Jay. I suggest that you never set another foot near Roy ever again, and I’ll make sure of that!”

Before I could explain myself more, she had already taken to her heels. That is so disgusting! That is so unfair! She may be my best friend and it could be normal for her to like Roy—many people liked him—but that doesn’t give her the right to take away the crush that I have liked ever since I came to this school as an exchange student! She is seriously going to get a piece of my mind once I have the chance!

Later during the day, after school, I accidentally came across Roy and Susan chit-chatting together. Hiding out of sight, I eavesdropped on their conversation.

“Roy…do you like me?” That Susan! How dare she ask like that? She’s even more thick-faced than I am!

“Of course I like you!” Roy’s answer made my heart go sour, but then relieved me with his next few words, “You’ve always been a good friend to me.”

Looks like there’s still hope for me. My heart jumped a little with glee.

“But, Roy…I…I like you! I like you more than a friend! I…I love you! Haven’t you realized anything yet? I loved since the first day we’ve met at orientation week! I…”

“I’m sorry, Susan. I’ve always treated you as a close friend. You’ve always been a friend to me. To tell you the truth, I already have someone that I like. sorry, Susan. No hard feelings, huh?”

I quickly hid closer towards a darker corner as I heard Roy’s footsteps incoming towards my direction. I saw him walking quickly towards the basketball court for his basketball practice. Lucky for me, he didn’t notice me, or else I would be in deep shit!

Soon I heard Susan crying bitterly. Although my heart ached to hear that Roy had someone else, but it couldn’t compare to the feeling of guilt and pity in my heart for Susan. Surprisingly I didn’t feel as if I’ve accomplished anything. I realized that her love for Roy was as deep as mine. If I knew it before I ever said that I liked Roy, I would’ve let her have him.

A few days later, on my way to school, I was shocked to see smoke coming out of Susan’s home. There was a huge fire burning out from inside and it was attracting attention of passers-by. I quickly called the fire department and the ambulance. When I turned around to check out the fire, Roy, Gus and Mikey were also at the scene.

“Susan! SUSAN~!!! Where the hell are you?!” Gus was yelling at the burning house.

“What?! Susan is still in there?!” I was shocked. My eyes began hunting for her whereabouts. The fire was getting larger and larger, what with the fact that part of Susan’s house was made of wood. I suddenly had the urge to save Susan. I threw off the bag on my back and rushed into the house, ignoring the passers-by who were yelling after me.

“Jay! Jay Jay! Hey, Jay Jay! Stop! What are you doing?! Ooi…” Roy’s voice was getting further and more blur. I didn’t care anymore. Susan is my friend and the only ting I want to do is to save her.

“Susan! Susan!! It’s me, Jay Jay! Come on out! The place is on fire, Susan! Susan!!!” I yelled my heart out, trying to search through the scorching heat and the fiery flames for her best friend.

Suddenly I heard desperate coughing sounds. I recognize that cough anywhere! It’s Susan, and it’s coming from her bedroom! With my strong foot, I kicked the door open and saw Susan crouching and coughing in one corner of her room holding a photo frame, her clothes all black and sooty.

“Susan, hurry up! We gotta get out of here! Your house’s on fire!” I yelled as I pulled Susan’s arm but I was pushed away harshly.

“Go away, you bitch! I’m the one who burnt this house! I did it deliberately!” Susan glared at me with those eyes full of hatred and anger. I was taken aback. She deliberately set fire on her own house? What was she thinking?

“Looks like Roy treats me more like a friend than a lover…Hah! Lucky for you then! You can have Roy all to yourself then! I’m giving him back to you! I’m giving him all back to you, you bitch!” Her tears fell down her sooty cheeks as she spat those hateful words at me. It was obvious that she was having a serious grudge on me.

“Forget about that, Susan! Just get out of the house and you can scold me all you want! Come on!” I tried to calm her down, talk some sense into her.

“Shut up, you thick-faced bitch! I don’t need your help! I hate you! Get out of here! Go back to your Roy and let me die!!”

“You’re the bitch, you stupid ass-hole Susan!! I don’t care! You’re coming with me!!” I was getting seriously pissed off as I grabbed her sleeve harshly and dragged her out of the corner she was crouching in. I dragged her out of the room and tried to find a way out of this house that was looking all bright and orange by the flames burning all over the house.

Suddenly something huge, heavy and searing hot fell onto my back. Ahh…I couldn’t get up…It’s burningly hot…So hot…it hurts…And in the midst of the pain and the heat and all the confusion, I saw Susan, free from my grasp, backing away, disappearing more and more from my eyes. She had turned back and went into her room.

“Susan! Get out of there, Susan!! Don’t be stupid! SUSAN~!!!” I screamed my lungs out at her, unable to hold on to the pain and sorrow inside my heart. I cried bitterly as I tried to get up to go into the room to save her.

“Jay Jay!”

Who…Who is it…? Susan? No, it’s a male’s voice. I strained to open my eyes. That face…looked like…Roy…

--:--

“Jay Jay?” Roy broke me off again from my flashbacks. I looked at him with my cheeks drenched in salty tears. I turned around, refusing to let him see me at this state.

Roy hugged me from behind and whispered, “When I tried to move that burning plank from your back, the firemen have already more or less brought down the fire and had stormed into Susan’s house.”

“And…Susan…?” I asked.

“The firemen have found her body, but she didn’t die of burning. The doctors confirmed that she had died of suffocation first; she took in too much smoke…”

“I was so weak…I couldn’t even save her…” I cried bitterly again, my heart going seriously sour, guilty and bad.

“You were in and out of consciousness for 3 weeks in a row. When you finally woke up, your back has already pretty much healed and you remembered nothing about the fire or the suicide. We thought that it was best that we didn’t remind anything to you, so…I’m sorry…”

“Why couldn’t I save her…? Why…?”

Roy kissed my forehead and said, “It’s OK, Jay Jay. Let it go. Let bygones be bygones. It’s not worth remembering anymore. It’s not your fault anyway. You didn’t ask for this. None of us did. It’s alright. Everything’s gonna be OK.”

He took my hand and led me to his car. We drove off the burnt house and it was almost midday when we’ve reached Roy’s house. As he drove, he muttered, “You know, when Susan came to confess to me and I told her that I already had someone else…well, that someone else is…well…you, Jay Jay.”

I smiled. Somehow, I knew you would say that…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets