Skip to main content

The Price for a Good Life

 


A girl walked alone through a forest.

She looked all day for something to eat, but only found sour berries.

Discouraged, she sat down and cried.

"Little girl, why are you crying?"

She turned to see a tall, handsome man in a dark cloak. He sat beside her.

"My family has nothing to eat."

"Give me your berries," he answered, "and I will ensure your family is fed."

Reluctantly, she handed over the fruit.

"Follow me." He led her to a meadow with a small hut. She waited and he soon returned with a piglet.

"If you ever need anything, you know where I am."

The girl ran home. Her mother cried tears of joy to see the pig. They built a pen and fed it with scraps. In time, they bred the sow and with each litter they had more food and money.

When the girl became a teen she went to see him again. The cottage and the man were unchanged.

"I wish to be pretty."

He gently touched her soft curls.

"It will cost you your hair."

She wept as the scissors sliced her thick locks.

But it was worth it. As it grew back, she blossomed into the most beautiful girl in the land.

She was happy with this. But eventually, her mother died and she became very lonely.

She went to see the man for a third time.

"I wish to be married, and live far from this place."

"What can you trade?"

"I have nothing."

"You do. You are still a virgin."

She had not expected the price for a good life to be so high. Still, she paid it.

Not long after a nobleman was thrown from his horse on the road by her cottage. She tended his injuries, and he fell in love with her.

When he was healed, they traveled to his town and were married on the steps of the cathedral.

That spring, she became pregnant with their first child. It occupied the pit of her stomach, where it grew with love.

She was happy. She had all she had ever dreamed of, and when the baby came it was perfect and healthy.

Later that summer a plague befell the town. The disease eliminated rich and poor alike, and her husband became gravely ill.

Desperate, she rode in secret to the forest cottage.

"My husband is dying," she pleaded. "Please heal him."

"Only life can pay for life."

The argument did not dissuade her. For him to live, she would die. She nodded. The man sighed.

"Go home. He will recover."

She sped home and crept into her bed, not expecting to see sunrise- yet she woke at dawn.

She went first to her husband's bed. His fever had broken. He would live!

Fear suddenly shattered her happiness. She ran to the cradle.

There was her perfect baby, its skin as cold as stone. 

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets