Skip to main content

The Lake

 https://img.freepik.com/free-photo/view-boat-water-night_23-2150693532.jpg?t=st=1697813655~exp=1697817255~hmac=5fed1650f841ca4992cbaa1953dbf792e3b46a367ad955f93fa808d83f34bc85&w=996

Red, RED! Everything is red, why is it all red!? Eliza’s mind raced as she tried to process what surrounded her. The young girl was overwhelmed by the screams echoing from all directions.

She was afraid. Eliza didn’t know how she got here, or where she was. It looked like her hometown, Peterborough, but everything was red. The lake was filled with blood. The trees, bare and lifeless, crows perched upon them.

Eliza sat in a small wooden dinghy gently bobbing in the lake, hands pressed hard over her ears and eyes shut tight.

“Take me home, please take me home” she chanted.

A cold air began to surround her as she felt five bony fingers slowly wrap over her shoulder. Her eyes shot open as she swung her head around to see the looming figure emerge from the red lake. She gazed up at it in horror as its grip tightened, it wore a black cloak with a hood engulfing the face in shadow.

“Am I dead?” She muttered.

Its gnarled spine protruded out as it arched down revealing its face. A skull, a ram, or a goat. Eyes red, like the glow of a sunset. Ominous yet beautiful. The skull was cracked and weathered, teeth missing and rotted.

It spoke, the voice was guttural, coming from all directions. “Soon”.

“No!” Eliza shouted.

Eliza pulled away from the spindly hand, the grip tightened causing her to cry out in pain. She grabbed the ivory fingers and pulled, attempting in vain to pry them off. The creature shoved her into the lake.

She sank. The darkness of the lake consumed her. Dark silhouettes of tormented humans swirled within the depths, trapped, angry, lonely.

Eliza couldn’t accept this as her fate, she clawed her hands up and kicked her legs. With a final kick she emerged from the nightmare.

Her eyes burned in the bright sun. The cool breeze washed over the pristine lake. Eliza dragged herself into the dinghy, gasping in fresh air. She lay, staring at the cloudless sky, the birds chirping.

“How?” Eliza stammered.

She thought she must’ve fallen asleep in the summer heat and fallen into the lake waking her from the dream.

Eliza sat up and looked around, the sun’s rays dappled through the trees and sparkled upon the sapphire water. She could hear cars in the distance and the chatter of a bustling cafe. What a wild dream thought Eliza.

“Soon”, the gruff voice echoed.

Eliza’s heart began pounding. She looked over the edge of the boat. Nothing. She leaned further. The boat tipped towards the water.

“CAW”, a crow swooped which caused Eliza to jump, capsizing the vessel, throwing her into the water. She emerged.

Red. The screams begin, the air is thick.

She waded in the blood, looking for a way home. Like a spider crawling on her scalp she felt the ivory hand. It had her. She went under. Her eyes wide and mouth agape, screaming as the lake filled her lungs. 

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets