Skip to main content

Night Shift At The Morgue

 https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/017B/production/_102297300_3558f8a6-eb86-4c15-95fe-d2539a3b4bdf.jpg

After quitting my factory job and having trouble finding a job worth the money, I came across a job advertisement in the local town paper.

“Hiring: Night shift security guard, no experience needed. Call Maurice at (phone number listed.)”

I called the number and was greeted by an elderly man. He informed me to come in the next day and he would show me around and fill me in.

“So I’m hired?”

“Yeah kid.”

I went in the next day and showed up for the interview about fifteen minutes early. If you aren’t early, you’re late.

I was informed to go to a side door and where the security office was so I wouldn’t be interfering with those at the funeral home who were mourning a loved one.

A short man with wrinkles and a nice and tight white hair cut wearing a security uniform was smiling at me. He had a white caterpillar above his lip stained slightly with black coffee he was sipping on.

“You must be Conway. Are you named after the singer?”

“Probably, my mom sure loves old country music.”

“Don’t you call that old!” He let out a chuckle and reached his frail hands out to me. I shook his and didn’t expect it to be as firm as it was.

“They put me over the hiring process and you were the first to put in, so I believe in giving chances.”

“I sure appreciate it.”

“Yes sir. You’ll be working a Monday through Friday. From 11-7 pm.” He went through the pay which was exactly what I was making in the factory. He also explained that the weekend crew guys were only two of them but they worked 12 hour shifts and filled me in their names, Jacob and Robert. The evening guy is Jackson.

“You may have to fill in for them.” He also told me I could have day shift when he is dead and cold, he don’t want to retire until he has to.

“I’ve had this job since I was about your age. It’s a good job.” He filled me in on how to watch the cameras, answer a phone call though it wouldn’t happen much at night unless it was a prank call. He also told me what times I should patrol the area.

“The biggest rule is to respect the dead.” I wasn’t sure what he meant by it. “Our last guy we had was an old coot that kicked the bucket, may he rest in peace.”

We shook hands on my way out and he offered one more piece of advice. “I understand at night time it may be a little scary, I’ve worked a few shifts. You’re the only person that will be here and I get that. You may get the Heebie jeevbies, but respect the dead and don’t let anybody in under any circumstance. I got my keys and so do the other guys.”

I felt excited coming in on my first night, Jackson let me in and handed me my new badge. I offered him a doughnut as I settled in the office and he left.

I checked the camera screen while sipping on my coffee. I didn’t have any areas I was supposed to check for another hour and nothing was going on. I brought my iPad and put Seinfeld on to kill time. Maurice said there wouldn’t be any issues with killing time as long as it didn’t interfere with the job.

Two hours have gone by and I walked the halls with my issued flashlight and then I heard a knock at the front door. I scooted back to the office and seen that it was Maurice knocking. The knocking became a banging. He was wearing street clothes.

“Conway, open up kid. I need in.”

I walk over to the door and speak through it.

“What can I do for you.”

“Listen, I need in. I forgot my medication.”

“What medication?”

“That doesn’t matter, but I need in.”

“Don’t you have your keys on you?”

“Keys? No I forgot them.” I remembered that he had his office key attached to his key ring that also held ones for his home, truck, and other things.

“How did you get here?”

“In my vehicle.”

“What color is your car?”

“What?”

“I said what color is your car?”

“Black.”

“You don’t drive a car. You have a red truck.”

He began banging on the door and his voice became much, much deeper and distorted.

“Let me in this fucking door so I can get my medication or I’ll fire your ass.”

I turned around and ran back to the office and tried to tune the noise out.

He looked up at the camera and had a very wild smile.

“Smart boy.” He turned around and walked off.

Hours past and it’s about time I go walk in the area where the dead bodies are kept in lockers. I knew it was going to smell like cleaning supplies and be cold. I put on my issued jacket. I glanced at the camera down there and froze in place.

There were people standing in the area . Just standing around and talking. If I would have been thinking, I would have called the cops. But who was also to say that the cops coming were actually law enforcement and not whatever the hell I just witnessed.

I ran down to the area with my flashlight swinging as it a light war mechanically moving, left, right, left, right.

I opened the door and seen lockers open and a group of dead people standing and having conversation. One turned to me.

“Hello there.” That’s the last thing I remembered.

I woke up shortly after and the dead were standing around me. It was scary but yet heartbreaking. Here stood someone’s grandfather, someone who died by suicide, some others and one that looked butchered badly.

“What the hell is happening!?”

The grandpa spoke up. “I found a note left on this table and it explains we’re gonna be alive for another ten minutes or so, then we go back in our lockers.”

“What?”

“Beats me…”

I looked at the lady that was butchered. Her throat was cut , stab marks through her body that made her sundress stain crimson.

“What…what happened to you?”

“Someone broke in my home and did this.”

“Do you know who it was?”

“I don’t , but I want them to suffer the way I did.”

She began describing the man having dark and short hair but he also had a snake tattooed on his arm. He also had a prison neck tattoo that she didn’t understand what it was. The others stood around and listening. They began mumbling about their lives and enjoying their last bit of time.

4 a.m. pops up in my watch and they all go back in their locker as if their legs were forcing them to. I considered making a run and leaving. I checked the camera to make sure that no one’s at the front door, but it didn’t feel worth the risk. I finished the shift.

As soon as it became seven on the dot Maurice opened up with his keys and patted me on the back. He was sipping from a cup of coffee.

“Okay kid, let’s talk about all this.” I’ll keep you guys updated as quickly as I can. 

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets