Skip to main content

Ignore The Cry of Help At Night

 https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/021/318/277/medium/fikran-hadinata-dark-forest-2.jpg?1571216278

I love to camp, but after my most recent trip, I don’t think it will ever be the same.

I set up my tent on nice, flat ground and collected some wood for a fire. The night came with all its nightly sounds, and I relaxed at the hooting owls and chirping crickets. Even better was the fact that no one else was around.

“Help.”

It was subtle. I almost missed it. The voice came from deep within the woods, and for a moment I didn’t believe what I was hearing. It sounded female, but oddly enough, I just couldn’t tell.

“Please help,” it continued.

I shined my flashlight between the bushes and walked around. To be completely honest, even as a grown man, I was paralyzed with fear. So, I did the responsible thing and called the local police.

That’s when things went from odd to very, very weird.

The police told me to ignore it. I explained to them that someone could be injured and probably needed medical attention, but they assured me otherwise. When I kept pushing and asked why, they told me, “Sir, if you ever hear that voice again, ignore it. Do not respond, and do not approach.”

Well, I did hear it again. But I didn’t ignore it.

It was almost midnight when I heard the voice a second time. I awoke to someone whispering “help” and it sounded like she was just outside my tent. I went out to check and no one was there, but the voice continued from a distance, “Help. Please.”

Again I grabbed my flashlight and looked around the area I was camping. I was too afraid to follow the voice into the woods, especially since the authorities themselves avoided it. But I struggled morally, trying to decide whether I should go and help this person or listen to the police, who were concerned for my safety.

But then I heard another, different voice.

This other voice, which also seemed to be coming from the woods, was an octave lower. Unlike the first one, which cried for help, this one was loud and demanding.

“Quiet!” the other voice demanded. “No one’s going to help you!”

Once I heard that, I was sure someone was in trouble. I called the police again.

When I informed them about a second voice coming from the woods, they seemed even more concerned. They told me that I should pack my things and leave the camp site "immediately'. They said that hearing the second, more manly voice meant that “it” was getting desperate.

They also said that the two voices were coming from the same person. That part was bizarre and confused me, to say the least. It was at this point I dismissed the police in that area as crazy, but not before telling them off.

I got angry. I told them that if they didn’t get down here to come and check it out, then I would do it myself. I said repeatedly that a woman could be in serious trouble and that it was their duty to help her, but still they refused to come. All they kept repeating to me over the phone was, “Do not enter the woods, sir.” They seemed more afraid than I was.

Once I hung up the phone, I heard the voices again.

A gentle, “Please, somebody help me.”

And then a growling, “Quiet! No one’s coming!”

It was a little past midnight at that point. I couldn’t live with myself knowing that I had the chance to save someone’s life but instead cowered. So, I grabbed some things and ventured into the woods.

When I entered the woods, the voices ceased. Just like that. No cries, no whispers, and no commands. Even the owls and crickets went away. Nothing but dancing leaves and creaking tree branches.

I stopped walking and looked around, a full three-hundred and sixty degrees.

“Hello? Anyone here?” I called out.

Nothing.

“I’m here to help!” I continued. “Where are you? Are you okay? ”

Still nothing.

I thought of calling the police again, then chuckled to myself.

I found it strange but somewhat comforting that I didn’t find anyone out there.

Nonetheless, I was still creeped out, so I packed my things and finally left the camp site.

I didn’t know why the police, of all people, were so afraid. Worst case, someone was in actual danger and we’ve all failed them. Best case, morons who think saying “help me” in the middle of nowhere is a great idea for a prank.

To be honest, when I heard the voice the very first time, I did think it was a joke. When I heard it the second time, along with that other voice, I became a bit more concerned. And same with the third time I heard it in the woods. But when I heard it again a fourth time, a week after I left the camp site, coming from inside my own house, I became very, very concerned

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets