Skip to main content

Forbidden School Staircase

 https://img.freepik.com/free-photo/depressed-person-sitting-stairs_23-2150761388.jpg?t=st=1697820155~exp=1697823755~hmac=11f0fd0ddae56e0793788f5a8666c5175619b4be4e0c3ea7d2d2e1ab1d23f28f&w=740

I always wondered why we were never able to use this staircase in school, but the teachers, staff and the headmaster were able to use them. I never knew where the bottom of the staircase was, because I always saw the teachers walking up the stairs but never walking down the stairs. In every assembly, the headmaster ordered us not to use the staircase, though we already knew not to.

One time, the class clown said he was going to go down the staircase that we weren’t supposed to use, and our physics teacher grabbed him and she screamed at him to not go down there. He ended up sitting back down, snickering as some students were whispering to each other and some exchanged confused glances with one another.

This made me more fixated on knowing more about the staircase. I’d wander around the school, looking to find where the bottom of the staircase was, but I’d never find it. I’d spend my break time asking different people about what they know about the staircase, and if they knew any rumors about them. Every rumor they’d say, I’d write down in my notebook. One rumor someone said was that a student in the 7th grade went down the staircase and was never seen again. Another rumor was that our maths teacher kills anyone who goes down the staircase. Though most of the rumors sounded quite stupid, I still wrote them down.

At some point, my friend Josh started noticing how curious I was about the staircase. Josh was quite a fearless guy. He would do anything dangerous, as if he was on a suicide mission, like the time when we had a science experiment and he thought that touching the bunsen burner would be a good idea. He ended up getting severe 3rd degree burns on his hand, which took around a year to heal, and also became the prime example of what not to do in a science experiment. That was only one of the things he did, but I won't go into detail about the others..

2 days ago, as we were sitting on one of the benches after school, Josh asked “Why don’t you just go down the stairs?”

“I don’t want to get suspended, I have a good record unlike you,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“I have a plan though.”

“It better not be stupid….”

That’s when he pulled a notebook out of his bag, and drew two stick figures.

“The one with the smiley face is me, and the one with the sad face is you. Do you understand?” He said.

“I do.”

“We’re going to do this pretty early. About 3 or 4am… we’re going to break into the school. Don’t worry though, I’ve done it before and succeeded.” He started to draw a gate, then drew the stick figure representing me climbing over, and the stick figure representing him over the gate, as it waited for me to climb down.

“This plan is kind of stupid,” I said, observing his rushed drawings.

“Do you want to see what’s under those stairs or not?”

“I do…”

“Then listen. So after we break in, we’ll need to be pretty quiet. No talking until we actually get into the building. We’ll need flashlights, so we’ll both bring our phones. When we get into the building you need to follow me. The stairs are near where our classroom is, remember?” He explained, with a moderately harsh tone. That’s how I knew he was serious.

“Okay, it kind of makes sense… I’m gonna go now though, tomorrow we’ll go through the plan again. Make sure to write it down, see you tomorrow Josh!” I said, picking up my backpack and leaving.

The next day, at break, Josh showed me his notebook which contained a detailed plan, explaining exactly what he had said the day before, but in more depth. Though I was hesitant to go through with the plan, I did really want to see those stairs….I had been so determined to know every single thing about those stairs, and this was like a once in a lifetime chance for me. So I agreed to the plan. That was yesterday.

I had my alarm set for 2:30 am. I got ready which took about 20 minutes. At around 2:55 am, I was out the house. From my house to my school was walking distance, so it was easy for me to get there. When I got there, I was quite surprised to see Josh already there, in front of the gate, looking at the floor.

“Oh you’re here already? Should we start now?” He asked.

“Yeah sure, why not?” I said.

That’s when he started climbing up the gate. I made sure to watch his technique so I could do the same when he was done. He climbed up the gate fairly quickly, then climbed down the gate, and he was in.

“Your turn.”

I slowly started climbing the gate, my arms shaking a bit every time I climbed higher. Eventually I was able to get down.

“Okay, now to get inside the building we need to use the back of the building. There’s a door there, and for some reason it’s never locked,” He whispered, and I nodded.

We started walking at a fast pace, making sure not to step on anything that would make noise.

When we finally entered the building, I followed Josh. Using the flashlight on my phone, we slowly made our way up the stairs, being careful of our surroundings. After what felt like forever, we finally found the staircase.

“Are you ready?” He whispered.

“Of course.”

We started going down, step by step. It looked normal, and I didn’t get why we couldn’t use it. As we were going down further and further, a foul odor hit my nose, and started getting stronger and stronger as we went down.

“What is that smell?” I asked, holding my nose with one hand and holding my phone with the other.

“You smell it too? It’s horrible,” He said. Though the smell was tormenting our nostrils, we kept on going. I started getting quite tired. I felt like I had been waking down those stairs for an eternity. At some point, as I continued to point my flashlight downwards, I saw something. Something abnormal… out of this world. I held Josh’s arm so he wouldn’t go down any more steps. He was about to open his mouth to speak until he also saw what i was seeing, and immediately closed his mouth.

We saw darkness. But in that darkness were faces. Some were crying, some were smiling. But as they looked directly into our eyes, their faces became angry. Full of hatred. They started screaming, and shouting unintelligible words. They reached their arms out to us. That’s when the darkness started rising, and I screamed at Josh to run, hyperventilating as tears streamed down my face.

I rapidly ran up the stairs, as the darkness slowly consumed our every step. As Josh was running though, he tripped up a step and fell. I screamed, and heard the sound of synchronized laughter and the sound of Josh screaming in agony and terror, as the creatures pulled him into the void. I kept running up and up the stairs and didn’t dare to look behind me. Somehow I was able to reach the top of the stairs, and when I did I collapsed to the floor, shaking uncontrollably, tears still streaming down my face as I covered my face, screaming.

Someone tapped my shoulder, and as I uncovered my face I realized it was my physics teacher. She stared at me, with a mix of emotions on her face. She held her hand out, gesturing me to get up. When I got up I realized she wasn’t the only one there… all the teachers that taught my class were there, in a line all staring at me. Some were crying, some just stared blankly at me with no expression.

“You’re going to have to go to the headmasters office, I’m sorry..” She said, her voice slightly quivering.

When we arrived, she opened the door and as she shut it, I heard the sound of the door locking. That’s when I realized, this wasn’t the headmasters office….

That was a few hours ago, now I’m still here. My phone’s on 46%, and I’m just sitting here, wondering if it was worth it. I should’ve just listened. Now I’ve lost my best friend and I’m going to rot here, and if anyone finds me they’ll only find my decaying body. I’m posting this for everyone to know my story, and to say goodbye

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets