Skip to main content

Latchkey Kid

 https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Schluesselkind.JPG

"A latchkey kid, or latchkey child, is a child who returns to an empty home after school or a child who is often left at home with no supervision because their parents are away at work. "

I related a bit too much to this term growing up. My mom, to put it lightly, wasn't there, and my father preferred just chilling in his "man cave" to actually be a parent.

I, being the naïve kid, loved this life. I could bring whoever I wanted home, eat whatever I wanted and do what I wanted, when I wanted to do it. I understand now just how bad it was, but luckily I'm in a better place now.

This story happened at the tail end of my middle school career. We got to try planning out our schedules for the next school year, and I was excited to come home and do what I normally did. I got off the bus and walked down the street to my house. I barely put my hand on the door when something caught my attention. It was my dad, and he was humming!

I went inside, looking around to see where the sound was coming from. As I got closer to the kitchen, I began to smell something divine.

I entered the kitchen and too my shock...it was my mom and dad! Dad was reading the paper and mom was cooking something on the stove.

Now, no smell, no matter how good, could mask the fact that my mother and father were in the same room without fighting. This rang off some alarm bells in my head, so I began to feel a bit worried.

"Hi honey! How was school?" Mom turned to ask me.


That wasn't my mom. That wasn't her voice. But it looked like her. These thoughts and others suddenly filled my head as I took in just dangerous this situation could be.

"It..was good. We, uh, made our schedules for next school year." I answered, deciding that playing along would be the safest option.

"That's good, sport! Come, sit down! Your mom's making some pancakes!" The one who looked at my said said, patting a nearby seat.

"Sure..let me just go put my stuff away first."

I figured if i could get to my room, i could sneak out my window and go to the neighbors.

"Alright! Hurry back!"

I rushed to my room, locking the door behind me and pushing my dresser against the door for good measure. I then made my way to the window next to my bed, getting it open and making my way out of it. As i was about to close the window, i heard pounding on my door.

"Honey? Are you ok in there?" A female voice asked, rattling my doorknob.

"GO AWAY!"

My door began to shake as the person on the other side began pounding on it again, trying to force it open.

I booked it away from the house and went next door, knocking on the door a few times. I was then greeted by our neighbor, Miss Valentine.

"Are you ok, kid?"

"You need to call the police!"

"What for?"

"Something happened to my parents! Their...different! It's not them in there!"

For a moment, it looked like she was gonna send me away. But she must have been able to tell I was being serious, so she let me inside.

"Just wait here and I'll be right back." she had me sit in the kitchen as the got on the phone.

She spoke to the police for a bit, explaining the situation before a knock was heard on the door. She handed me the phone and told me to keep them on the line as she went to answer it. My heart sank as I heard the same voices.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but is my daughter with you? She ran away because she didn't like what we made for dinner!"

"...No, she isn't, sorry! I thought I saw her running up the street a few minutes ago and was about to call you to see if everything was ok."

I tried to keep out of sight as I heard them talk, until i heard the door close. Shortly after, Miss Valentine came back, her face completely devoid of color and her expression blank.

"Are the police still on the line?"

"yes, Ma'am."

"OK, good."

She handed me a knife and kept me close as she spoke to the police a bit longer before hanging up.
"the cops will be here in a few minutes..They are gonna take you somewhere where you can be safe, OK?" She told me.

We both waited on the couch for a while. It was most likely only ten minutes, but at that moment, it felt like an eternity. Every noise freaked me out, because any noise could have been those two strangers trying to get in.

After the ten minutes, the cops knocked on the door. I was taken up to the police station, where I was told that the two strangers were caught and arrested for impersonation. They had searched my home and found no trace of my father, suspecting that the two strangers had something to do with it.

I ended being put in foster care, and ended up being adopted two years later, where I am now. I haven't been able to contact my father at all yet, but part of me doesn't want to. I don't know why those people wanted to impersonate my parents, and I can only imagine what would have happened to me if I believed them. 

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets