Skip to main content

He Wanted To Kill Us, I Know It

 https://i.etsystatic.com/16265855/r/il/06f845/4084867154/il_570xN.4084867154_gfk2.jpg

I was never the kind of guy to have many friends. I’ve had a few friends that I’m really close to for as long as I can remember. I don’t mind other people at all, even if they’re not worth my time, I get along well with most of them, and I would probably be described as fun and social by others. I’m usually not interested in forming close relationships however, and last week my approach to friends was revalidated.

I’ve been friends with my three closest friends for about 10 years now, we all met at school and stayed loyal. About a year however, one of them started bringing this guy named Tom whenever we’d meet up. At first, I wasn’t too sure about him because I didn’t feel like I could be open and myself when needed, he just didn’t seem to be good enough for us, but that feeling quickly faded. Tom turned out to be one of the kindest people I’ve ever met and after a few months I considered him a real friend. I could talk to him, I could be open about my feelings, something you don’t often see in male friends, and I could also have a lot of fun with him.

I started thinking that this could be the perfect guy. I would later turn out that he wasn’t.

One day when it was just the two of us, he told me that he had a secret, something he had never told anyone and that he could get into real trouble if he told anyone, but that he trusted me. See, I’m a curious guy, whenever someone starts a story, I can’t really handle not hearing the rest, so I insisted that he should tell me. He hesitated, but after some convincing told me the story of how when he was six, he accidentally killed his older sister. He tripped over something while running around with a knife and it just went right into her heart. He didn’t really face any real consequences as he was far too young to go to prison.

His parents however blamed him. They blamed him every single day and would completely neglect him. He said that that didn’t bother him and that he didn’t have any memories of his childhood, except for when he stabbed his sister. It was still so clear in his mind, he said. But before I could say anything, he stopped me. “No need to make me feel better. I’m still riding the high from that day.” I didn’t really know how to respond so I nervously laughed, hoping he was joking. “No really.” He continued. “But it’s not going to last much longer.” And then he looked me straight in the eyes.

“Are you with me.” He asked. I didn’t know what to say. I wanted to get up and run, but before I could, he burst out in laughing. He started making fun of me for being gullible and believing such a ridiculous story. I had been so on edge that this relief made me laugh, I laughed a lot, and we had a good day after that.

A week or so goes by and he messages me: “Ready to stab Maya?” I sent him some laughing emojis and a knife in response. I put my phone away and continued working on a painting I just started. I continued to do so for a good hour, but then he called me. I hesitated, I had really gotten into the flow and the painting was starting to take shape. I decided to let the phone ring and keep painting, but then he called me again. And again, and again until I eventually decided to pick up. “Hey Tom, what’s up.” But it wasn’t Tom at the other side of the line. It was Maya. She sounded out of breath, barely able to form a sentence. “Help me. Please help me.” I told her to calm down and asked her what happened. “He took me to his house. Tom took me.”

I immediately jumped up and put on my shoes. I told her to stay on the phone and that I’d be there soon.

Tom didn’t live very far from me. No one did. I’m from a really small town where nothing is farther than a 10-minute drive away. On my way there however, Tom sent me another text message, this time with a picture. It was Maya, she was tied up and he had a knife against her throat. I couldn’t reply because I was driving but I did speed up, the speed limit didn’t exist to me anymore.

When I finally got to Tom’s house, I took the key from under his doormat and rushed in. I didn’t see or hear anyone. “COME OUT, TOM!” I yelled as loudly as I could. “WHERE ARE YOU??” I picked up a knife from his kitchen and slowly crept through the dark house when suddenly I heard a loud yell behind me. I jumped and fell over in fear. My other two friends, Sarah and David came running out of nowhere and the lights switched on, they started laughing and then Tom dragged Maya in on her chair, both in tears from laughter too.

“We got you good, didn’t we?” Maya said. I was in disbelief. I asked about the story with Tom’s sister. All fake, he said. “Decided to prank you.” But he was lying, I could see it in his face. From the emotionless smile, to the deep, cold eyes. He just wanted us all together here so he could get rid of us all at the same time. “Fake knife too.” He said. He brought it close to Maya’s throat again and they all started laughing.

He went on to release Maya from her chair and we all went to the living room. I hid the knife in my sleeve. “Drinks anyone?” Tom offered. I said I’d help him out. “no no, it’s fine.” He said, but I insisted. I had to be alone with him and this was my chance. I followed him to the kitchen where the cutlery drawer was still open, and I asked him why they pranked me. He said that it just seemed funny and that I was the only one that would believe a story like that. I helped him make the drinks in silence; he didn’t seem to notice how annoyed I was. When we were done, he asked me to get the others, but when I turned away from him to do so, I heard him moving. He opened something. Followed by a sizzling noise.

He was going to drug us, and I had to act before it was too late.

I pulled the knife from my sleeve and jumped on top of him, stabbing him in the neck. And before he could make a noise, he was dead on the floor. I’m not sure what happened after that, everything went blank. Police is at my house, trying to get in and my friends hate me. I will turn myself in now and they will probably never know that I saved their lives, but that’s okay, because they’re safe. 

--- 

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets