Skip to main content

The 3:14am Ice Cream Truck Man (Part 6) [FINAL]

 https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NujPt9qR2Ek/maxresdefault.jpg

Today, 12:14 PM, 2022 – Max MulliganMy name is Max and if you’ve been following any of this, you know who I am.

It has been a decade since the incident, but the trauma that was inflicted upon us those days still echoes in our lives. It’s because of that, that I’m taking over writing the ‘epilogue’ of our story.

While Olivia remembers most of what happened with Jack in detail, the rest of the year is completely blank. There are times that she will look for her father and forget that he, like ours, has been missing since.

The official police report said we were found in the back of the ice cream truck and were brought to a hospital while unconscious. Their leading theory was that our fathers were in gambling debt and we were taken as collateral, which explains why they disappeared. There was no sign of the mystical left for the cops to scratch their heads over, so that was it. The case went cold.

There’s not really much to say after that. He kept his promise. Every issue that we had before July 2nd, no matter how small, faded into thin air.

My mother and I moved shortly after the incident, luckily landing in the same building as Owen. She found a good job and quit smoking, which mellowed her out quite a bit. Without dad to stress us out, as bad it may sound, our lives did get better. She hasn’t had a relationship since, however, and I have no doubt that somewhere in her heart she’s still thinking of him.

I can’t say for sure if he’s dead. There are days when I wake up in cold sweat and I see him standing in the reflection of my mirror, showing me a bad set of cards.

Owen, on the other hand, was more devastated over his father than both of us combined. When his brother got out of prison, they combed the entire city together, looking, but never found any leads, dead or alive.

He seems to have forgotten or suppressed the supernatural side of the events and I don’t blame him. He doing better recently, still searching, but he’s getting a degree to help endangered youths and put his and I quote “Bad memories into relatable ones.” Unquote.

The only good thing out of it was his brother grew out of his delinquent phase almost instantly. He owns a mechanic shop now and last I heard, he and his girlfriend are expecting. Owen’s mom looks pretty happy to be a grandma, but last I heard there was some friction over them not getting married before the baby comes.

Olivia’s life went a little sideways for a few years. She was selectively mute for a good while and did a stint in a mental hospital, but she’s back on track now. Her mom is seeing someone new, a fellow Albanian man. Liv is still on the fence about it, but she’s happy that her mom’s happy. She doing therapy while working on her law degree, which is good because I’ll need a lawyer to get me out of the mess I got myself into.

I’ll confess. I knew the police and our moms were lying to us, but I didn’t tell them and I have yet to do so.

I joined the force specifically so I could look into those files and I was right.

They found human remains in buckets, ready to be processed into food. Not only that, but they profiled them as missing adults from 2002, previously linked to a traveling serial killer.

What I’m really interested in, however, is the body they discovered on July 13th 2012. A white male in his twenties with blonde hair and average build. Jack. It was Jack’s human shape and I’m sure of it. He’s dead.

That would be a good thing, I think, if it weren’t for the fact that he’d clearly been bitten in half by something. The left side of his corpse had been chewed and spit out by another creature large enough to have a mouth capable of doing it.

There were signs of a struggle, if anything went by the blood splatter and the scales stuck under his nails. His remaining facial expression was one of horror.

Olivia has handed me the card that Jack gave her, with the company’s name on it. Late Night Cravings Inc. I’ve been looking for them, but so far, they have no media presence. But I think I’m getting closer. I’m looking into any case that’s similar to ours. Missing children and adults, anything food related. There is a chain of restaurants that have different names, but the same over the top menu. It’s my leading evidence.

My dreams are getting more violent and Olivia has been doing her own research. I’m not sure if I should tell her yet. She’s been far braver than I, but it’s my turn to put the big boy pants on. I don’t think I’ll ever forgive myself if she got hurt or even killed while on the wild manhunt, I’m going in.

She’s going back to New York soon, to clean up what her grandparents left. Apparently, there’s still one storage unit her dad forgot to check. I’ll miss her, but the further away she is, the safer she’ll be.

I have a theory that Jack was ‘fired’ by upper management for not sticking to the rules. That he was supposed to be paid first. That we’re only alive because of his mistake. If so, they’re intelligent enough to cut off loose ends, but not to hide birth records. Jack was born in summer of 1980 and while his mother is dead, his father lives on. I guess I’ll see if this is a genetic condition soon.

Even so, I’ll be ready to take them on when the time comes. Whatever this company is, its employees have to meet a gruesome end. I'll make sure of that. 

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets