Skip to main content

I Watch People in Cages (Part 4)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_hJcJMxow10/maxresdefault.jpg

So I came into work today, and T.D. was in a panic. Why? #8's skin was found in his cage. Not his body. Just his skin. As for the doll, it's still with Lisa in her cage. I wanted to tell him about it, but one thing at a time ya know?

Today's transfer day, and in a few hours one of the caged will be leaving. Who? I have no idea. But, some of you suggested I attempt to talk to the current Mary about her religion. Maybe she knows something we don't. So that's what I'm gonna do.

I sat in front of the cage, in an old wooden chair. Mary, as usual, was deep in prayer. She spoke some language I didn't understand. I cleared my throat and she looked up.

"Have you seen the yellow sign?" She asked, smiling ear to ear. She was a native woman, with an accent that seemed a mix of Australian, and American. Aboriginal maybe?

I shook my head. "Why don't you tell me about it?"

Only pausing for breaths, Mary went into great detail about her patron entity. Otherwise known as the King in Yellow, and in some places, simply the Yellow, Hastur was a patron of shepherds to some, to other an unfathomable darkness. I nodded, as if understanding, but truthfully I was more confused than I was previously.

Finally, I asked.

"Why are you here? Why are you in" I pointed to the cage "there."

"I don't know." She said, her voice faltering for the first time. This Mary was a regular chatterbox and this was the first time she had fell silent.

"What about that doll? The one the little girl has?"

She eyed the doll warily. Lisa was nose deep in a coloring book, but the doll looked right at her.

"I do not know. I thought at first it to be a vessel of Hastur, but.." she trailed off.

"What that crazy bitch is saying, is that doll is something else." Earl spoke up, for the first time in what seemed like ages.

"Why are you here then?" I asked, turning my attention to the mustachioed man. He shrugged. "Jaywalking." He replied, going back to his newspaper.

Mary spoke again. "The doll. It has a darkness. Similar to the king. But not quite." She said.

It was as she said this, the doors opened. They wheeled in the new captive. And as they approached Mary's cage, her eyes widened in fear. They shoved me aside roughly, and unlocked her cage.

They drug Mary out, as she drug her nails in to the ground with such force that it left a mark in the floor beneath her. They strapped her in, and as she cursed in that unknown language, they wheeled her away. Her replace, a nun, came soon after. Well, so much for that lead.

Security had been on extra high alert since the old man, we're guessing anyway, shed his skin. I was reprimanded by T.D. for talking to the pagan Mary about her religion. He didn't punish me or anything but let me.off with a warning.

She said that doll had a darkness. And I believed her. I also talked to Lisa a bit today. Asked about "Mr. Abba." She said his full name is Donald Abba the third. Never heard of an imaginary friend having a first and last name.

I don't know. I have to focus on the job, so I'll update you guys later.

Update: So I told T.D. about Lisa's doll. What he said worries me. Alot. He said he didn't see any doll. That's unnerving. So not only is there a possibly sentient doll, but now I'm the only one who can see it besides the caged.

Ive conducted interviews with the rest of the caged since Mary's transfer. Besides Cassie and Chad, because well they can't really speak.

Fred was up first. He said he was there for simply being him. This particular Fred was so overweight, he was tired from standing for too long. So as he sat on the floor of his cage, I finally asked.

"What do you know about that doll?" Gesturing to Lisa's cage.

"About as much as you do I suppose. Showed up in her cage one day."

"Showed up?" How did I miss that on the monitors?

"Yes sir. The woman, the one that was moved today, well she wouldn't shut up about it. For a few hours at least. Then she avoided it like it pissed on her shoe or something." He snorted.

"Where did you come from?"

"Thurmond, West Virginia originally." He stated matter of factly. Moving on.

Earl didn't provide much more info then Fred, but what he did tell me caught my ear. He claimed to be from Nazareth, originally.  He also mentioned a woman named Delilah who "stabbed him in the back a long time ago."

The new Mary was too frightened to be talked to, due to the circumstances of her surroundings. And Lisa, well, I'm not talking to her again. Kind of pointless considering she's technically six.

That just left Bob. Bob, still claiming to be a investment banker from New York, didn't provide much information on the doll. So I changed the subject.

"What's with the coins?"

"Oh these?" He pointed to his bloodied sockets. "They're my lucky coins!" 

Mmhmm. Yeah what ever you say Bob.

I returned to my office, and poured a cup of coffee. I nearly had a heart attack when I turned around and saw that fucking doll sitting on my desk. It was not there when I came in.

Pinned to it's chest, was a note scribbled in crayon.

It read simply

"LOOK UP"

I do not know why but I followed it's instruction. On the ceiling, looking down at me was….me?

The person was duct taped to the ceiling. His eyes were gouged out, and carved into his forehead was another message.

"STOP." 

I blinked, and the corpse and doll were gone. I ran to the monitors, and saw the doll back in Lisa's cage. Looking directly at the camera.

I'm starting to think this isn't worth $500 a day. 

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets