Skip to main content

I Watch People in Cages (Part 2)


 

Hey everyone. So a lot of you guys had some...interesting theories as to why the people are locked away. And while, they piqued my interest, I won't investigate the matter any further. Not my job to ask questions. The installation of the eighth cage wrapped up yesterday, and today they brought in the first occupant.

They brought in an old man. He wasn't even able to stand. They had to wheel him in as he was wheelchair bound. I couldn't imagine why they'd feel the need to lock him away. He wore an old respirator over his face, connected to an oxygen tank on his back.

He looked about 90, and fit comfortably into his cage. I heard his ribs rattle with every breath as the door was locked shut.

Instructions for care, as directed by T.D., were one live rodent, up to five pounds in weight. This was to be fed to him once per day. 

I think I'll call this one Bill for now. Seems fitting somehow 

Today, they took another of the Fred's away. Two hours later he was replaced by a different man, but ticking the usual boxes. 5'8, Brown hair. The usual. This Fred was morbidly obese. At least 400 or so pounds. 

Mary was saying her usual prayers, and Lisa was coloring. A quiet day on the job, as they usually were. That was until, feeding time. No surprises, until I got to Bill. The old man didn't even seem aware of his surroundings, if I'm being honest. He looked to be on death's door. Truthfully I wondered what anyone in his state could have done.

I tossed in a large rat, still squirming. He caught it quickly. He lifted off his oxygen mask, just enough to expose his mouth, and unhinged his fucking jaw. Like a snake. He ate it whole, bones and all. I jumped back a bit, startled by the sudden motion from the seemingly weak old man. I moved on to Bob.

Bob's eyes were replaced today. Oh, by the way, feel I should mention, the coins aren't the same kind of coins every time. They've been everything from American coins to Greek drachmas. Anyway, the clean up comes in with cleaning up the blood from the replacement. 

Yeah it's not as clean as I may have implied. They aren't just in his sockets. They're stitched there. There's usually quite a bit of blood. This particular Bob is an investment banker, so he claims, from Manhattan. He's a middle-aged aged guy, about 35 if I had to guess. 

This time, his eyes were a pair of 50¢ pieces. The JFK ones if I had to guess. Grabbing a mop, a bucket of water, and a stun gun (for Bob.) I got to work. The clean up process usually takes 20-30 minutes.

Next was bringing Lisa her television for her allotted 30 minutes. She always preferred to watch movies, like Cannibal Holocaust, or the Human Centipede. Her favorite movie is A Serbian Film. The TV. Well it was one of those ones you'd see at school. Like, on a wheeled table, strapped down. You know what I mean. She had a doll that I hadn't seen her with before. She had a teddy bear, as was part of her instructions for care. (Didn't think it was important so I didn't mention it.) but this doll was new.

The doll had two hollow sockets for eyes, and chunks of black hair stapled to the head. It wore a blue dress, similar to Lisa's. In place of hands, it had what appeared to be the paws of cats. It stood about 2 feet tall. It's face had a perpetual grin. Again, not unlike the young girl to whom it was in the possession of.

I made a note to inform the higher ups, and moved on to the next cage.

Then it was grabbing an archived newspaper and a jar of mustache wax for Earl. He grumbled out a thank you, and retreated to a corner of his cell.

Fred had made a mess with his meal of human blood. Sighing, I grabbed the mop again.

My job, as you can likely tell, is not very exciting. The worst part is the waiting. Every once in a while, one of my guests tries to escape. Thus, I have a loaded assault rifle, with anti personnel rounds, next to my small desk I monitor them from.

Oh, my workstation! I don't know why I haven't told you all about it.

I have a desk, with fourteen monitors. The monitors on the bottom show the occupants in their cages. The ones on top have vital readings. If they ever get too low, or too high, I'm to press a button to call in special staff to take care of it.

Again, I'm not told why they can't but I assume it's to do with their health(?) But feeding them raw meat and human blood likely isn't helping matters. So I'm not entirely sure on that if I'm being perfectly honest with you.

The most common break out is the Mary's. To date, fifteen Mary's have escaped, resulting in forty-two casualties. Fred's have escaped six times, with twenty casualties. One Fred I saw? Drank a guy's blood like a juice box. His jugular was the straw. The rest have tried as well, but not with the success of Mary and Fred. Except for Lisa, who has never tried, at least not while I've been here. 

My rifle is a last resort if the security fails but thankfully, I haven't needed to use it. Yet. So while my jobs dull, I'm always on edge. Especially as I don't know much about #8. Yet. The weirdest part is the constant weeping I hear from #8's cage. I'm curious about the next occupant of Cage #8 if I'm being honest. If there ever is one. Guess we'll find out in three days eh? Or whenever they move him out. 

Oh, I feel I should clarify. They aren't taken out in a certain order. There's always a chance the next one taken will be Fred. Or hell, it might be Lisa. Point is there's no set rotation. They're just taken randomly.

Anyway, my next shift is about to start so I'll have to check in with all of you later. Till next time.

Edit: Okay, Well I know what I said but this is some major shit. Lisa is gone. Not broken out. Just fucking gone. I was watching the monitors, and one second she's there, the next, Poof. Gone. I've put the place in lockdown. Sounded the alarm. The whole nine yards. I'll keep you guys updated as best I can.

Edit 2: Well. There are a lot of dead bodies. Good news is I'm still kicking! Bad news? Lisa is still MIA. But the doll, well, that's in Cage #8 now. T.D got here an hour ago, and I gave him a rundown. He seemed extra freaked that Lisa vanished. Especially on the same day as #8's arrival. It's not my job to ask questions. But I'm starting to. I'll keep you guys informed. 

---

Credits

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets