Skip to main content

I Watch People in Cages (Part 1)


 

My job, well, is that I keep people in cages. Yes, I know it's inhumane. No, I don't care for your opinion on it. There's a reason I do what I do.

The people all are of ordinary appearance. Some are fat, some skinny. Some have blonde hair, others are brunettes. If it were up to me, I'd let the people go. But I can't. They all did something, and now they're in the cages.

The cages aren't cramped or anything. They're each about 5x5x5. There are 7 cages total. Each one holds a different person from a different background. Every three days, one gets taken away and another is wheeled in. Never a member of the opposite sex either. If a man was in the cage, he'll be replaced by a man. Same for women. I don't know their names but it's not my job to.

I'm paid to feed them, and watch them. I have given the cage's names. Which is then passed on their occupants. Cage #1 is Fred. Usually, Fred's occupants are between 5'7 and 5'10. They always have brown hair, but styles, and length vary. As does their weight. They are to be given fourteen ounces of AB+ blood once every seven hours. No mirrors within thirty feet of their cage. 

Cage #2 is Cassie. All of the Cassie's have been 5'4 or 5'6. Never 5'5. They're always blonde, smaller women. Petite one might say. They're to be given exactly forty fluid ounces of water and a pound of raw meat, daily. Cassie's cage is electrified unless she's being fed.

Cage #3 is Earl. Earl always is a scruffy looking dude with a handlebar mustache. Hair doesn't matter, nor does color.  His rules are simple. One jar of mustache wax and a copy of the times. However, the copy must always be not from within the previous year. He's also not to be given hair tonic for any reason.

Cage #4 is Mary. Mary is always a religious type. Which religion varies. So far, as I can tell, we've had three Muslims, five christians, five pagans and two Hindu Mary's. They're almost always 5'3 and have varied in weight. No set rules so I just give them whatever I have available as food.

Well, except one. They're not allowed any access to holy or religious imagery. No matter what.

Cage #5 is Chad. Chad is always a blonde guy, usually clean cut with clothes that indicate high social status. Designer clothes and the like. Don't much care for Chad. He's to be given a cup of some green liquid. The liquid never kills them. Doesn't even make em sick. 

Chads don't talk much, mainly because when he does, a black ooze comes out of every hole on his face. Freaky at first but eh you get used to it. 

Cage #6 is Bob. Bob is interesting. Mainly because I can't tell what each person has in common. So far we've had all males but they've consisted of seven African Americans, fourteen caucasions, eight Asians, and thirteen mixed race. 

They've been everything from plumbers to bankers, and even homeless. Oh well, the mystery goes on. No set rules in place. They do require clean up though. On day two, their eyes are always missing. Replaced with, oddly enough, two coins. They never seem to be in pain, however, even making idle chat with me.

And finally, Cage #7 has only ever had one occupant. She's never been taken away. She's a six year old girl, named Lisa. She has a blue dress, blonde hair in pigtails and an ever present smile.

The weird part? She's been here for at least a decade. Hasn't aged a day. All she ever does is sit in her cage. She's given coloring books and thirty minutes of TV time daily. Again, I don't make the rules. 

All I know these people all did something. Something the higher ups won't tell me. So now we have the cages. The very unique, and specifically made cages. 

I found this job through, of all things, Craigslist. The previous guard, who's name was not disclosed, left instructions for the feeding, maintenance etc, of the people. He listed their many quirks and how to handle each situation as it may arise.

I was weirded out but you get used to it, ya know?

That was 2010. And here we are now, 2020 and I'm still watching people in cages. Previous guy told me that they used to be simple beds, with each of the various characters strapped to them. All of them, except Lisa. Lisa was always given a small feather bed, and while she was strapped in, was always tucked into a blanket like one would do a child.

My boss, or at least the guy who tells me my job, is an older guy. His left hand is kinda fucked up, he said it was a cooking accident. Hot grease as it were. He could pass for an aging movie star in all honesty. Salt and pepper hair, with a voice like a knife through butter. Something is a little off about him though.

I swear, I never remember his face correctly. It always looks different than I remember. Anyway, my boss, who goes by T.D., told me the previous guy held this post for thirty years. The pays good don't get me wrong but thirty years? A bit long.

My first day on the job, I was shown the cages and explained what would be happening with the people. All I'm allowed to know is they did something really bad. So now they're locked away, for three days. The beds were revoked for a reason noone has ever made clear. Something about teeth and a missing ear. Anyway.

For ten years, it's remained this way. Every three days, someone leaves and someone enters. All except for Lisa. Every new person gets the same treatment as the one they replace. What worries me, is what happened yesterday.

They added an eighth cage. 

---

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets