Skip to main content

Words of the Wise V

Stories are Beings. You invite them to live with you. They'll teach you what they know in return for being a good host. When they're ready to move on, they'll let you know. Then you pass them on to someone else
A Cree story teller

God created man because he loves stories
Elie Wiesel

A Zuni once asked an anthropologist, who was carefully writing down a story, "When I tell you these stories, do you see it, or do you just write it down?"
Dennis Tedlock

A story may illuminate our relationship to others, encourage compassion, create a sense of wonder, or sanction the concept "We are all in this together." A story may shock us into recognizing a new truth, provide a new perspective, a new way to perceive the universe
Ruth Stotter

The word "story" comes from "storehouse". So a story is a story or a storehouse. Things are actually stored in the story, and what tends to be stored there is its meaning
Michael Meade

We really don't learn anything from our experience. We only learn from reflecting on our experience
Robert Sinclair

A disciple once complained, "You tell us stories, but you never reveal their meaning to us." The master replied, "How would you like it if someone offered you fruit and chewed it up for you before giving it to you?"
Source Unknown

Stories are stepping stones on the path to spiritual enlightment
Ruth Stotter

To Navajos, a person's worth is determined by the stories and songs she or he knows, because it is by this knowledge that an individual is linked to the history of the entire group
Luci Tapahonso

Love conquers all
Virgil

Stories are like fairy gold. The more you give away the more you have
Polly McGuire

If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded
Maya Angelou

You must give time to your fellow men--even if it's a little thing, do something for others--something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it
Albert Schweitzer

Love cures people--both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it
Dr. Karl Menninger

Teach only love, for that is what you are
A Course on Miracles

The soul is healed by being with children
Fyoder Dostoyavski

Everyone needs recognition for his accomplishments, but few people make the need known quite as clearly as the little boy who said to his father: "Let's play darts. I'll throw and you say 'Wonderful!'"
The Best of Bits & Pieces

Teachers are those who use themselves as bridges, over which they invite their students to cross, then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own
Nikos Kazantzakis

What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other?
George Eliot

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave footprints on our heart and we are never, ever the same
Tanya Cuva

For everything you have missed, you have gained something else
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Things don't change. You change your way of looking, that's all
Carlos Castaneda

To every disadvantage there is a corresponding advantage
W. Clement Stone

Our real blessings often appear to us in shapes of pains, losses and disappointments; but let us have patience, and we soon shall see them in their proper figures
Joseph Addison

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them
Antoine de Saint Exupery

If your house is on fire, warm yourself by it
Spanish Proverb

We are challenged on every hand to work untiringly to achieve excellence in our lifework. Not all men are called to specialized or professional jobs; even fewer rise to the heights of genius in the arts and sciences; many are called to be laborers in factories, fields and streets. But no work is insignificant. All labour that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence. If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will pause to say, "Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I visualized where I wanted to be, what kind of player I wanted to become. I knew exactly where I wanted to go, and I focused on getting there
Michael Jordan

Obstacles cannot crush men, every obstacle yields to stern resolve
Leonardo da Vinci

Cherish your visions and your dreams, as they are the children of your soul; the blueprints of your ultimate achievements
Napoleon Hill

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional
Source Unknown

They can because they think they can
Virgil

Adversity introduces a man to himself
Anonymous

In the depth of winter I finally learned there was in me invincible summer
Albert Camus

The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it
Moliere

When it is dark enough, you can see the stars
Charles A. Beard

The marvelous richness of human experience would lose something of rewarding joy if there were not limitations to overcome. The hilltop hour would not be half so wonderful if there were no dark valleys to traverse
Helen Keller

If you don't hear opportunity knocking, find another door
Source Unknown

God helps them that helps themselves
Benjamin Franklin

Many things are lost for want of asking
English Proverb

I have learned to use the word impossible with the greatest caution
Wernher von Braun

I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible
Henry Ford

The dedicated life is the life worth living
Annie Dillard

Every man has his own destiny; the only imperative is to follow it, to accept it, no matter where it leads him
Henry Miller

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths
Prov. 3:5-6

Wisdom comes more from living than from studying
Anonymous

A single conversation across the table with a wise man is worth a month's study of books
Chinese Proverb

Fear less, hope more;
Whine less, breathe more;
Talk less, say more;
Hate less, love more;
And all good things are yours
Anonymous

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there.
I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the autumn rain.
When you awake in morning hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of birds circling in flight.
I am the stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there.
I do not sleep.
Author Unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets