Skip to main content

Words of the Wise I


A ship in port is safe, but this is not what ships are built for.
Grace Hopper

Our strentgh gorws out of our weakness
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Optimism is a cheerful frame of mind that enables a tea kettle to sing though it's in hot water up to its nose
Anonymous

Weakness of character is the only defect which cannot be amended
Francois de La Rochefaucald

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; and nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude
Thomas Jefferson

When faced with a challenge, look for a way, not a way out
David L. Weatherford

I am only one, but still I am one; I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything. I will not refuse to do the something that I can do
Edward Everest Hale

Troubles are like babies. They only grow bigger by nursing
Old Postcard

To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart
Phyllis Theroux

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
Eleanor Roosevelt

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down
Mary Pickford

The doctors told me I would never walk again, but my mother told me I would, so I believed my mother
Wilma Rudolph

Opportunity...often it comes disguised in the form of misfortune or temporary defeat
Napoleon Hill

If I could wish for my life to be perfect, it would be tempting, but I would have to decline, for life would no longer teach me anything
Allyson Jones

Youth is a gift of nature, Age is a work of art
Helen M. Carroll

Be not afraid of going slowly. Be afraid of standing still
Japanese Proverb

There is a net of love by which you can catch souls
Mother Teresa

Should you shield the canyons from the wind-storms, you would never see the beauty of their carvings
Elisabeth Kiibler-Ross

Life is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset
Crowfoot

A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on
Carl Sandberg

When spider webs untie, they can tie up a lion
Ethiopian Proverb

One day, the people of the world will want peace so much that the governments are going to have to get out of their way and let them have it
Dwight D. Ersenhower

Some of us are like wheelbarrows--only useful when pushed, and very easily upset
Jack Herbert

I can live for two months on a compliment
Mark Twain

Circumstances are like a mattress: When we are on top, we rest in comfort; when we are underneath, we are smothered
Anonymous

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are
Theodore Roosevelt

Experience is a hard teacher, because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards
Vernon Saunders' Law

Put your troubles in a pocket with a hole in it
Old Postcard

You've got to dance like nobody's watching, and love like it's never going to hurt
Source Unknown

I have a dream my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but the content of their character
Martin Luther King Jr.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined
Henry David Thoreau

The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone
Harriet Beecher Stowe

The richness of the human experience would lose something of rewarding joy if there were no limitations to overcome
Helen Keller

You can't be afraid of stepping on toes if you want to go dancing
Lewis Freedman

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear
Mark Twain

We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least once
Friedrich Nietzsche

There are somethings you learn best in calm, and some in storm
Willa Cather

The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it
John Ruskin

Brothers and sisters help each other along, first up backyard hills, and later up life long climbs
William Bennett

My company mascot is the bumblebee. Because of its tiny wings and heavy body, aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly. But the bumblebee doesn't know that, so it flies anyway
Mary Kay Ash

Sports don't build character--they reveal it!
Heywood Hale Brown

Attitude defies limitation and exceeds expectation
Source Unknown

One joy shatters a hundred griefs
Chinese Proverb

If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow
Chinese Proverb

In the game of life, heredity deals the hand, and society makes the rules; but you can still play your own cards
Peter's Almanac

Stressed is just desserts spelled backwards
Brian Luke Seaward

A kick in the rear is a step forward
Anonymous

If you always keep your face to the sunshine, you'll never see the shadows!
Helen Keller

Oliver Wendell Holmes once attended a meeting in which he was the shortest man present. "Doctor Holmes," quipped a friend, "I should think you'd feel small among us big fellows." "I do," retorted Holmes, "I feel like a dime among a lot of pennies."
Source Unknown

We cannot direct the wind...but we can adjust the sails
Source Unknown

Don't look back unless you intend to go that way
Marc Holm

We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sorrow
David L. Weatherford

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood
Marie Curie

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand
Chinese Proverb

Has anyone ever said, "It is important to spend less time on how we look and more time on how we see"? If not, someone should
Carmen Richardson Rutlen

Beauty is the heart of the beholder
Al Bernstein

What the caterpillar thinks is the end of the world...the butterfly knows is only the beginning
Anonymous

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life, you will have been all of these
George Washington Carver

Be like the bird
That, pausing in her flight
Awhile on boughs too slight,
Feels them give way
Beneath her and yet sings,
Knowing that she hath wings.
Victor Hugo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets