Skip to main content

The SSS


I grew up in a small rural neighborhood, about twenty minutes out from the nearest town. It was a quiet place, full of kids my age. I grew up playing with my friends in the woods and swimming in the pond.

My best friend was my neighbor, a girl a couple years older than me named Lily. Lily was mischievous and was always getting us into trouble. Her favorite thing to do was take me into the woods, where we weren’t allowed. Her backyard butted up to them, so all we had to do was hop the fence. In the woods, we’d walk out to our spot. We called it the Secret Spot of Secrecy, or SSS.

The SSS was a clearing about ten minutes’ walk from Lily’s house. When we found it, there was an old wooden table and chairs. Not far from the table was an old mattress and some raggedy blankets. We made up stories about a lost princess who lived there and was helped by fairies. We were very imaginative girls.

Every day, we’d go out to the SSS. We started leaving things, like sandwiches and nail polish and books for the princess. We figured she was shy and didn’t want us to see her. The next day, the little gifts would be gone. She took them! We were ecstatic. Some days we would find little bundles of wildflowers sitting on the table. She was thanking us!

That went on for about a year. Lily started complaining of nightmares soon. She said she would see someone standing over her, breathing heavily on her. I shrugged it off, I had scary dreams too sometimes.

But when Lily was twelve, she went missing. She went to bed and wasn’t there in the morning. Gone, disappeared out of thin air. We looked and looked and so did the police, but we found no sign of her. After three months of searching, they gave up. It broke my heart. Lily, my best friend, was gone. I’d never see her again.

I visited the SSS weekly after that. I left notes for the princess, explaining what had happened. I never got a reply, but the notes were always gone and there was always a wildflower in its place. Eventually, my parents found out that I was going into the woods and I got in big trouble. I was never able to go back. That was ten years ago. I visited my parents last week, who still live in the house I grew up in. I decided to visit Lily’s house, which had been vacant since her parents moved out, shortly after she went missing. That house brought back so many memories. Then I remembered the SSS.

I hopped the fence, just like old times. It didn’t take me long to remember the way to the SSS. It was just as I remembered it. The table and chairs were still there. So was the mattress and the blankets. But they didn’t look right. There was something under the blankets. Naturally, I was curious and lifted them up. I’ll never forget what I saw. It was a skull. It was bashed in, almost destroyed, but I knew immediately whose it was.

It was small, child sized. It was Lily’s.

I called the police. They came and searched the forest. They found evidence of someone living in the forest, cans of vegetables and beans and beer bottles. They also found pictures. Dozens and dozens of faded pictures. Pictures of me and Lily playing. Pictures of Lily, lying naked on the mattress. Pictures of Lily with her head bashed in.

I can’t sleep anymore, all I can see when I close my eyes is her. All I can think about is what she must’ve gone through. What I could’ve gone through. The police can’t figure out how he got Lily. They can’t find him either. He’s out there still, and I’m scared.


Credits to: photofreecreepypasta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets