Skip to main content

And No, They Are Not Blind


Two weeks ago I met a beautiful young man who changed my life forever.

I first saw him in front of a Monorail station while he was about to cross the road to the other side. It was a red light, nobody tried to stop him and some pedestrians even stepped on his walking stick by accident! Sighted people are always too busy walking fast they do not even realize the possibility of having a disabled person walking/standing right in front of them.

Nobody had courtesy to apologize neither did they offer him help to cross the road. I quickly went to him and asked, "Abang nak ke mana? Saya boleh tolong." (translation: Brother, where are you heading to? I can help you."

He is a 5 feet 3 Malay chap, soft spoken and humble looking. He told me he wanted to go to KL Sentral to have his lunch at KFC. I smiled and said, " I will take you there. Do not worry."

The blind man introduced himself as Ridzwan and asked me what was my name. As we entered KL Sentral, Ridzwan asked, "Would you know where I could find thumb drives?"

Tati: I am not so sure if they sell any here in KL Sentral but I will find out.
Ridzwan: How about camera shops? Do they have camera shops here? Maybe they sell thumb drives there. If you are in a rush, it is OK. I will try to find it myself. No problem.

Tati: Oh no! I am more than happy to help you! Hang on! They do have a camera shop! We'll go there OK?

The camera shop had no thumb drives but the staff helped us find a small computer shop at the departure hall.

At the stall...

Tati: Hi, do you sell Thumb Drives?
Shopkeeper: Yes we do. Which ones would you like?
Tati: It isn't for me. It's for my friend here. It's best if you explain to him the models in detail.
Shopkeeper: Sure, no problem. How can I help you Sir?
Ridzwan: Hi. Hello. What sort of thumb drives do you sell?
Shopkeeper: Ok, we have 1 gig, 2, 3 and 4...

After discussing with the shopkeeper, Ridzwan decided to buy a 1 gig SanDisk thumb drive priced at RM28. The shopkeeper gave him a RM3 discount. Ridzwan took out his wallet (a wallet which I used to have when I was 13) and took out a RM50 note.

Ridzwan: Sir, how much is it?
Shopkeeper: It is RM25.
Ridzwan: Oh, I meant the note. How much do I have in my right hand now?
Shopkeeper: Oh sorry! You're holding a RM50 note.
Ridzwan: Ok, let me get a smaller note.

After taking out a few notes, Ridzwan paid the shopkeeper with the RM50 instead as he did not have any small change.

Ridzwan: I am so sorry for the big note. I wish I had some small change.
Shopkeeper: Oh no worries.Thank you so much. Please come again.
Tati: So, where shall we go now? You must be hungry yes?
Ridzwan: Yes, I'd like to have lunch at KFC. I hope I am not disturbing you. If you must go please, I do not mind. I will find my way. You are so helpful.
Tati: Oh, no worries. Please, I really don't mind. However, can I ask you a question?
Ridzwan: Sure, ask me.
Tati: You just bought a thumb drive. Do you know how to use a computer? I thought you are blind? Forgive me if I sound offensive but I am just very curious.
Ridzwan : (Smiling) Yes, I do know how to use the computer. We have a special software called JAWS. It's a software that tells us every letter that we type and every word is also pronounced by a computerized voice.
Tati: Oh wow... that is amazing! Good stuff. Technology ehh? I am impressed. So you can send emails and 'read' them too?
Ridzwan: Yes I can. I just have to memorize the keys that's all.

OK, the first time this blind man impressed me was when he took out his wallet. Not that I am judging him. The wallet was so simple- something you could buy for RM5 at night markets. It was an item I used to have when I was in primary or high school. And why would he care how the wallet looks like? All he wants is something comfortable and inexpensive.

While he was talking to the shopkeeper earlier, I actually took the time to observe this blind man. He was clad in a simple pink cotton shirt and a pair of earthy brown pants. Simple bag. Simple shoes. And yet, he was a happy man.

Look at me, I thought. There I was, fully sighted and yet, super ungrateful about many things. OK, that was the first. The second time he impressed me was when he was asking the shopkeeper about the note he was holding. Unlike most notes in other countries, Malaysian Ringgit have no Braille dots on it. I felt bad for Ridzwan as this is one of the things he has to go through daily. If only Malaysian notes had Braille dots on them, it would make Ridzwan's life a lot easier.

The third time he impressed me was when he told me he knew how to use the computer and the internet. I was already in tears by the time he told me this and I thought to myself, " Hey I am studying Industrial Design! I could probably design something for the blind!".

As we were walking towards KFC, I told him that I could only bring him to the food counter and that I had to leave him there as I had to rush for class. My class was scheduled at 2pm and I only realized that I was late when he said, " Oh it's 2pm already. That's fast."

Tati: How do you know it's 2pm? Your watch is digital?
Ridzwan: *Smiling* Yes it's digital and it has a computerized voice which tells me the time.
Tati: Wow! Impressive!
At KFC...
Tati: Ok Abang, I have to leave you here, is that ok with you? (Abang means Big Brother in Malaysian language)
Ridzwan: Sure. Oh you are still studying? Where are you studying?
Tati: I am studying in Subang.
Ridzwan: Oh that is nice. May I ask, what course are you taking?
Tati: Oh. Indus.. I mean Product Design. (Product Design is a more common term than Industrial Design and so I said the word 'product' instead)
Ridzwan: Oh WOW! That's nice. So cool. Does that mean you get to design 3d in computers???
Tati: *laughs* Yeah, I use a special computer 3d modeling software and it's really interesting.

I was about to say "I could teach you too...", but I forgot he was visually impaired.

Ridzwan: Wah... Computer 3d modelling? Wow! Sounds so nice... so cool...

When he said that, it broke my heart. I was already crying in KFC in front of so many people. I felt so bad for him for he is blind and yet still hungry for knowledge.

Tati: Ok Abang, I leave you here OK? I have to go now. Will you be alright on your own?
Ridzwan: Yes I will. Thank you so much. It is a pleasure meeting you.
Tati: Likewise. Till we meet again. Be careful OK? Assalamualaikum (peace be upon you)
Ridzwan:Ok. Waalaikumussalam. (peace be upon you too)

On the way to college after that, I cried non stop. I felt happy to have met such a wonderful person and at the same time, I was ashamed of myself for being so silly, ungrateful, and inconsiderate about certain things in life. You name it.

I tend to complain about some things, well not always but I know I do at times. I am choosy with the things I buy such as clothes, bags, books, food etc and this blind man cannot even afford to choose yet he is still so happy.
Ridzwan is my new hero. He has totally changed my world.

The week after, I told my lecturers, about my ideas on creating a special device for the blind. Initially they were not impressed at all, thinking 'WHY?'.

Then, after I told them about my encounter with Ridzwan, their faces changed completely and that gave me some hope. Industrial Design students at our school are participating in this years Malaysia Young Designer Award. It is my first time and I had no clue of what to create earlier on but I think I know what to create now.

Last Friday I met another interesting blind man. He is a Sarawakian lawyer who became blind at the age of 14. Imagine this: he still remembers how colors and his favorite things looked like. I will post his story tomorrow.

I hope Ridzwan's story will be an inspiration for you too. If only Malaysians paid more attention to the disabled community. Unfortunately, the disabled are seen as unimportant to many. Please visit http://mab.org.my/ for more details on the visually impaired in Malaysia and ways on how you can help them through donations, volunteer work etcetera.

And no, they are not blind... In reality, it is us (the sighted) who are blind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets