Skip to main content

The Women in My Family Can Replace Everything


Mum would always replace everything.

When my goldfish died when I was seven, she immediately replaced it with a coal black kitten. Coal black, save for the white patch just above his nose and the blue of his eyes. Shadow, I named him- creative, I know, but can you blame me? I was seven.

Five years later, when Shadow, little Shadow, was hit by a car, she replaced him with a sweet little Australian shepherd puppy. She was very light in colouring, with one blue-grey eye and one dark brown. I called her Tenani. I think by that age I'd learned to put sounds together in a way that made them sound like an exotic name.

Two years later, when dad left, she replaced him with an absolute brute of a man who barely spared my brother and I a second glance. He was normally too busy feeling up my mum in front of us, or dragging her off to bed... Or drinking. Big brother Chris and I really had to cook and do everything around the house during that time. We started finding less and less money in the drawers, so instead of buying expensive dog food, I fed Tenani left overs from our meals and snuck her the occasional sausages and pieces of ham.

When our funds got too low and we lost our house, she replaced our home and almost all of our belongings with a run down little apartment that only had four rooms total: two bedrooms, a bathroom and everything else crammed into one little space. Chris and I shared a room.

A year later, when my brother was finally old enough to escape and somehow find his way to dad, she replaced him with a newborn son. He'd wake us up at all hours of the night, and that'd cause mum and her boyfriend to start arguing. It'd escalate to yelling. The baby would cry louder.

Two months later, Tenani... Ran away. Mum apologised to me with a large plate of meat to cook for dinner for the family. I barely ate anything. When the baby cried that night, I cried with him. Mum and her boyfriend argued. Something smacked against the thin wall that separated our bedrooms. The arguing stopped. The baby cried louder. So did mum.

When mum's boyfriend started paying more attention to me as I cleaned, cooked, and cared for little baby Thomas, she replaced her usual blank expression with one that was full of fear.

When she found me bloodied, shivering, and naked in the corner of my bedroom, she replaced my innocence with endless apologies, with endless tears, with endless words. "I'm so sorry, Tina. I love you. I'm so, so sorry."


When my immediate rejection of further advances angered him, mum replaced myself with her. Fists smacked against skin. Heavy boots stomped thin knees into impossible angles. Arguing. Mum screaming. Thomas crying. Her boyfriend Charlie, yelling. Me watching.

After dialling for help as quietly as I could, I replaced the housephone for a kitchen knife.

One stab. Charlie gurgled. Mum screamed. Thomas cried.


Two stab. Mum gurgled. Thomas cried.

Three stab. Thomas gurgled. Silence.

I replaced my fingerprints on the knife with a thick coating of blood from all three of them. I replaced the hand that was wrapped around the knife with Charlie's, letting it fall into his curled palm. I replaced the life they had stolen from me with the life I had stolen from them.

I replaced the emptiness in the corner with myself, thin limbs curling around an even thinner body.

I listened as the silence was replaced by ringing sirens.

I replaced my sorrowful expression with a smile.
  

---
by reddit user Kesprit via: reddit.com/r/NoSleep

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets