Skip to main content

Sleep Terrors


That moment could have only be described as crippling fear...

They made it a point to hold my hand and promise me security. Sing to me, warm my thoughts with soft coos; tell me that the darkness wouldn’t hurt me and that’s it’s only the inner workings of my mind. The departure into the other room was met with the grip of my hand, pleading for five more minutes, and then ten more, and so on to the point where comforting me became exhausting for them. They’d beg for sleep, keep open my door, and promise me a last time that danger would never approach.

I try to let sleep take me, but the distractions of the horrible night don’t let my mind at ease. I lay still, afraid that if I may turn around, something will be waiting for me. I want to go check on them, ask them to come back in, but I know they’ll be frustrated with me. They won’t believe the things I’m hearing. It stops for a minute, but I always hear it again, the rattling and the whispering. Why are my curtains moving if there is no wind? Money spent on therapeutic sessions and relaxation tapes and techniques cannot save me from the enveloping darkness waiting to consume me. I hear trickling of pots and pans. I’m not safe. The corners of my eye are always occupied by shadows. I must overcome the fear of movement. I have to turn on the light that they shut off every night. I get up, not breathing as I move, because if I breathe I’ll be detected by the things in the dark.

I turn on the light; it strains my eyes but keeps me sustainable. How can they sleep? Are they safe? I can’t protect them. Something is going to hurt all of us, in this home, in that dark spot in the corner, behind my closet door that still leaves mental scars. I go through it in my mind again. Did I remember to close every door in the house? The room across from me must be closed, or something repulsive will sneak. It will come from the room, crawling, making those strange noises I hear. Yet I can’t close my door. My door must be open. If I close my door, it will lock on me and they won’t be able to reach me. I won’t be able to escape what traps me inside my room when the door is closed, and what it will do when it is all alone with me.

This is my final night, I tell myself I may not survive tomorrow. Every cell in my body, pulsating with the hot sticky fear and sweat from under the covers that won’t shelter me from harm, but I wish they could. I start to get the feeling again. I can’t breathe. Am I dying? The only things I can do are lay, sweat, and forget to breath. I need to scream. I want them back in here. I want them to save me. I scream as loud as I possibly can. Call her name, because I know he will be more frustrated with me. She runs in with her robe wrapped around her, in a hurry, tells me to calm down. The bags under her eyes are developing more so every night now. I feel guilty, but better. Safe only when she is with me. I ask her to lay down with me. This is the last time.

I tell myself it’s okay, that I’m foolish, and even when the lights go out when the flicker of her finger, I feel safe with my guardian in the room. I still am thinking. Slowly drifting, but thinking. As I’m about to fall asleep, I hear the rustle of the bed. Is she getting up? She can’t. I’m not asleep yet. I yelp as she leaves the room. Don’t leave me and make me vulnerable again. I cause her misery. I’m stealing her from rest, sleep is nonexistent in this household ever since the things in the dark made me nervous. I think they know I know about them, and that’s why they’re watching and whispering their plans behind walls and dark crevices.

I feel myself falling into unconscious. Sleep decides to spare me after the many midnight hours awake and afraid. My heart, for the first time tonight, slows. I know tomorrow they will be exhausted, disappointed in me that I make them awake. They won’t have energy to talk. But at least I feel safe in the day. I want to know when this horrible notion will end, and how will it end? Will I finally be taken or killed? Will they be taken from me, forcing me to live alone; will I find them face down in a puddle of blood, or worse? I don’t want to think like this but the sounds and voices at night lead me to these conclusions. Please, I beg myself, to let it go away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets