Skip to main content

Surgeons and Furnitures


Both my parents were surgeons and I used to talk to furniture.

I grew up in an area where the properties are so large and the families are so wealthy, that they build mansions and walls inclosing themselves in their own private paradises - never interacting with their neighbors unless by some strange coincidence. I was home-schooled until the age of 7, which is where this story ends.

But first, it begins at age 4, when I can first remember what my childhood was like. As a young boy, I thought that staying isolated on your family's property was what all little boys did. Whenever one of my parents would go out I'd ask to join, but they'd shake their heads explaining that only adults left home and only in very very dire emergencies. Aside from this, I never wanted for toys or activities and developed what my parents described as a wild imagination. I began to creating relationships with our household furniture, spending days conversing with them and naming each and every one.

My parents seemed to indulge my imagination more and more increasing the amount of furniture in the house dramatically. My father had always considered himself somewhat of a handyman and often explained to me his love of constructing things and how he had hand-crafted certain pieces.

And so 3 years ensued of deep emotional relationships I developed with the furniture in my home. Arnold was the soft sofa in the living room that seemed to move up and down as I'd recline on him reading my books. Sophia was my bed that shifted ever so slightly rocking me back and forth as I fell asleep, sometimes I could even hear her humming softly. When I'd lay my head on the table in my room, Claudio, I could hear palpitations in rhythm to my heartbeat. I constantly spoke with Theodore, a rather small chair that was very responsive to me, making humming sounds and strange vibrations even when unprompted. But above all I loved Gladys, the largest, softest couch in the home - the one who seemed to share my breath. All the furniture felt so soft, so warm, and so alive to me.

It's strange how fast things can change. It was a Monday, my 7th birthday & my parents were in their workshop constructing a new piece of furniture as my present. A woman had gotten lost driving through the town and although our gates were sealed shut she had managed to push her way through. She knocked on the door lightly and I jumped up, having never heard someone approach the house before. When I opened the door her expression changed to horror. She sniffed the air and gagged. Then she picked me up and began to run.

Tomorrow I turn 27 and I've been rolling over in my mind if I should sit in the gallery while my parents are executed. The headlines had labeled them 'worse than Karl Brandt,' having reconfigured 167 people by my 7th birthday. They were never branded murderers because no one died, but it was much worse than that. 167 people to make 71 pieces of furniture, that's 664 limbs reassembled in formations no mind should conjure. 


Sometimes people think I'm a Buddhist ... there is no furniture in my apartment.

Both my parents were surgeons and I used to talk to furniture.
  

---
by reddit user invictus1988 via: reddit.com/r/NoSleep

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets