Skip to main content

I Live with My Mother


I live with my Mother.

It had been some time after the accident that had taken her legs away from her. I never actually saw the injuries, I don’t have the stomach for that sort of thing. But, apparently it had not only physically crippled her, but mentally as well. I would know, I haven’t heard her speak since before it happened. Unlike physical injuries, I suppose mental ones don’t heal over time. It had been months since I saw her face, maybe even a year. She shrouded herself in a quilt, and stayed curled up on the couch in my living room.

I came to the conclusion that she only used her wheelchair at night, maybe it was pride, or that she didn’t want me to see her using it. I can always hear her using it, and then typically the hum of my microwave. Sometimes she even leaves a list of groceries for me to pick up on my next shopping trip. It’s always full of frozen junk food and TV dinners and on the rare occasion, alcohol, but I buy it for her anyway. I’m afraid of how she would react if I didn’t. The monthly stipend we received from her former employer was more than enough to pay for all of these things and more. I’ve tried to take her to the doctor, or change her bandages for her but she always screams bloody murder and hisses and scratches at me like some sort of crazed animal. So I stopped trying.

For the most part, I had almost forgotten about her until a few nights ago. I was sleeping soundly when I heard the door to my bedroom creak open, I quickly sat up, expecting the worst, some sort of serial killer or burglar. However, my mom just sat in her wheelchair, right in my doorway, it felt like she was staring right back at me. She maintained this position for around 15 minutes or so before a pair of slender, bony hands grasped the wheelchair and wheeled themselves back to the living room.

This became a habit, every other night, same exact time. I thought about locking the door, and once again, I was afraid of what would happen if I did. One evening, I decided it was time to reach out towards my mom again. I dropped my work things off in the entry and walked into the living room. To say that the room was trashed would be a compliment, it looked like something out of one of those hoarder shows times one hundred. The TV was on one of those channels that ran infomercials endlessly, the couch was bare. Well, at least the middle of the couch, the rest was dirtied beyond saving. I observed that the wheelchair was missing and at that point I heard the distinctive squeak of the rubber wheels in the kitchen.

I started clearing a space on one of our armchairs, so I wouldn’t have to sit on trash when I talked to her. As I did, I noticed that the chair was shredded under the layer of trash, it looked like something a cat would do if you didn’t spay it or something. I leaned in to inspect them more when I smelled it, the rancid, putrid stench of human waste.

“Oh no” I muttered, expecting to find out that my mom had been failing to make use of the bathroom. I trudged through the trash, trying to find the source. It was odd that I hadn’t noticed it when I walked in, maybe it was because I was breathing through my mouth. I knelt down as the stench intensified, wiping away discarded wrappers and dirty containers. There was a large plastic tarp covered in some shredded bedding, I thought she’d been using it as a bed or a bathroom, or worse. I peeled back the tarp and immediately wish I hadn’t, my eyes teared up so fast, I couldn’t see, it was like a wall of the most humid, foul smell I’ve ever smelled. I rubbed my eyes with my free hand as I struggled not to vomit. I blinked a few times and stared down.

A hand. A human hand. I pulled more of the tarp. A body. A legless body, decomposed to the point where it was unidentifiable, not that it needed to be. I trembled, a million emotions welling inside me as they threatened to burst out. I threw down the tarp, beat my fist against the ground and let out a scream. My fit was interrupted by the recognizable sound of a wheelchair squeaking its way into the living room.

I got up off of my knees, my fists clenched tight as yelled across the room “Who are you!?” my voice quaking with just as much anger as fear. The thing pretending to be my mother let out a scratchy growl and dropped the plate of cheese sticks it was carrying.

"What are you!?" I screamed, my temper boiling over, my heart beating wildly. It dropped the quilt off, it’s long arms unfolding from their hiding place, it’s glowing piercing eyes staring directly into my soul. It looked like some grotesque combination of my mother and…well, something else. It dragged itself towards towards me, speaking in a scratchy voice, mimicking my mom, the last thing she said before the accident, before she died. "I’m your mother, honey, and I will always love you." it rasped out, before lunging at me.

I don’t live with my Mother.




Credits to: photofreecreepypasta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets