Skip to main content

Friday Dinner


Every Friday for the past year my boyfriend has made me dinner. It’s usually a grand affair. I do fundraising, donor registration and grant writing and Fridays I always work late trying to get in my end of the week reports. He usually gets home hours before me and will make a huge dinner. I can tell he likes to do this for me as well, he’s a really good cook and it makes him happy to see me enjoy it. Often he will spend most of the meal never touching a bite himself, just watching to see if I like it.

However, recently after dinner I have begun to feel sick. I thought maybe it was stress but it seems to be only after he makes me our Friday night meal. Last Friday, as he and I were discussing a small wound he had received when a client attacked him, I had to bolt to the bathroom in the middle of the meal.

Sweet dear took care of me the rest of the night. Didn’t even have time to go down to his “man-cave” in the basement to watch a game or build something whatever it is men do in those things.

I really hate to complain because I know how hard he tries. To make it up to him last Thursday I brought him lunch on my break, a nice little gesture. He works at a men’s homeless shelter. I love how dedicated he is to helping others. As I was walking through the courtyard at the shelter a man attacked me though. Nothing violent, he was obviously ill. He grabbed me and begged me to save him, told me the monster was coming to kill us all. As he held me close I could smell him. He hadn’t bathed in months. He bared his bright yellow teeth and I noticed they were speckled with blackish rot. My boyfriend came out at this point and led the man away. Poor guy, I am glad my boyfriend was able to help him.

Anyway I am writing because something spectacularly strange happened last Friday. I got home and my dear had made an even larger dinner than usual. It was chilly outside so he made a big meaty stew filled with rich heavy spices and soft vegetables. It was like autumn in a soup. I gulped it down. It was exactly what I needed at the end of this week. The entire time he was sitting there as usual, huge smile as he got to watch me enjoy his special dish. Soon after eating though I began to feel sick. I tried to hold it back the best I could, but eventually I had to go to the bathroom. While vomiting I felt a strange pain of almost choking. Something very hard and sharp was coming up.

After a bit of work up came a small hard object into my hand. When I opened it to see what it was I noticed a small yellow rotted tooth. I heard a knock on the bathroom door

“Everything alright in there?”


Credits to: the_darker_path

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets