Skip to main content

Off My Chest


In hindsight, I should have noticed it earlier. But when you’re always with somebody, sometimes you don’t see the bigger picture until you take a step back.

One evening, after I got back from work, he was still lying in bed, with the covers over his head, body curled up and facing the wall. My partner had told me he needed a break, some extra rest, some time off work. But it had now been over three weeks. With each passing day, he said less and less. Getting a one word reply would have been a pleasant surprise. And no matter how much I tried, he wouldn’t eat during the day. Instead, I would sometimes wake in the middle of the night hearing him get something from the fridge, or putting something into the microwave.

Eventually, I sought help. They would come over to try and talk to him, asking me politely to stay out of the apartment for a few hours, maybe do some shopping or watch a film or something. But it was no use. The harder we tried to reach out to him, the tighter he would grip onto his blanket, retreating further and further into this abyss inside him that I could not even begin to imagine.

That day, I was just coming back from work. Moments after the train emerged from the tunnel and the carriage was bathed with the evening glow, my phone rang.

“Honey.”

“Paul!” I was astonished that he would call me.

“Honey, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

“Why? Wha-what’s going on?”

“These last few months. I-I can’t imagine how much pain I’ve put you through.”

“Paul. No, sweetie, don’t say that.”

“No, I’m sorry, I’m so so sorry. There’s no possible way that I could make it up to you.”

“Don’t say that. Don’t say these things. You don’t owe me anything.”

“Honey, don’t come back to the apartment tonight. Please, whatever you do, don’t come back tonight. Please, promise me this!”

“W-why? What’s going on? Honey, what’s going on?”

“Please, just promise me this. Say ‘I promise’, please honey, please do this for me.”

“Paul, just tell me what’s going on. You’re worrying me so much, I feel sick!”

“Please just promise me.”

“Ok, I promise. What the hell is going on?”

“I don’t want you to see me like this.”

“What are you on about Paul? Don’t be rash, don’t do anything stupid!”

“Honey, remember that time we were in Vienna? And that night we were walking through that garden underneath the stars?”

“Mhm”

“I’ve been thinking about that a lot lately. At that moment, I felt such a strange, weird mixture of feelings. With you by my side, I felt so complete, like I was part of a whole. But staring up at the sky, with that cosmic vastness surrounding us, I couldn’t help but feel lost and insignificant. Like I was part of a whole, but such a small part, such a meaningless part…….you know what I mean? I hope at least, at the very least, that you’re able to treasure that moment, and all the other moments we’ve had together.”

I managed a smile through my blubbering.

“You cheesy bastard.”

There was a silent pause, during which the train arrived at my station, and the doors slid open.

“Honey…..I love you.”

Before I could answer, there was a loud thud.

“Paul, what was that? Paul? Paul? Answer me!”

I ran and ran and ran, with my phone pushed against my ear, waiting, begging for a response.

For what seemed like an eternity, there was nothing, wailing from my end and silence from his.

Then, all of a sudden:

“honey”

“Paul, are you still there, Paul?”

“help” His voice was croaky, but there was no doubt in my mind that it was Paul.

“Paul, what’s happened, tell me!”

“help me”

“Paul, I’m nearly back. I’ve just turned the corner onto our road. Whatever’s happened, just hang in there.”

“help me. inside. i can’t.”

And then, just as I reached the entrance to our apartment complex, Paul began to make this hideous noise. Like a kind of muffled scream, raspy and high-pitched. It was relentless. He screamed and screamed without stopping for breath.

I rushed through the door of our apartment and there he was. His feet were dangling three feet off the ground, his face was still, pale and lifeless, seemingly at peace. His phone was on the floor, shattered.

But mine was still up against my ear. And the screaming didn’t stop.




Credits to: photofreecreepypasta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets