Skip to main content

Micki & Madella (Part III)

They weren't sure how long they have been walking but once they've reached about a few miles away from home, it was already closing in to the end of summer.

Realizing that they were almost home, they didn't dare to think what was Micki's parents' reaction once they've seen them, so they decided to hang around in the beach and away from home just to make themselves feel up and about and ready to face them.

During their slight camping trip in the beach, they've come across a fisherman who was taking his break from a long day's fishing on the smooth sand. He noticed them and grinned, saying, "Hey, I recognize you kids! You've been on the papers and in the news! You're the kids who ran away because you don't wanna get married!"

"That's us," Micki replied. "But please don't tell anybody yet. We're not too ready to go home."

"Now why don't you kids tell me why you don't want to get married, hmm? I heard that because of that, you've caused your continent a whole lot of trouble and mishap."

Micki and Madella soon told him about the code and the tradition of best friends and not wanting to break them.

"Ah, that ol' best friend code! Haven't heard of it for a very, very long time now!" the fisherman chuckled.

"You know about the code?" Madella asked.

"Know them?" the fisherman looked amused. "Why, I used to practice that myself for quite a long time when I was true best friends with my Cameron. She and I were the best of friends and nothing could tear us apart, and I mean nothing!

"Well, everyone could see that we were inseparable, so our parents decided to make us get married. What a sore and a fit we had, because we didn't want to break the code, but during that time, it's very bad not to listen to your folks, so we had to agree to their words."

"Why didn't you run away like we did?" Micki asked.

"We had no money and not much belongings," the fisherman replied. "We weren't too well off back then and we sure didn't really know how to take care of ourselves, unlike you fine chaps. Like I was saying, we finally said our vows and exchanged the rings and lived together under one roof. Finally we realized that getting married was pretty good after all. Now, sonny boy, I'm sure in your heart, you don't really want your girlfriend here to be wed to someone else, do you?"

Micki looked down. Come to think of it, he was right. He didn't really want Madella to marry anyone else. He wanted her to be his friend forever.

"See? That's how I felt after I've married Cameron. I realized that I didn't want Cameron to marry anyone else and if I stuck to the code so long that I refused marrying Cameron, I would've regretted that decision sooner or later.

"You see, marrying your best friend doesn't mean that you're going to lose your best friend or anything. You're actually keeping the best friend forever and be closer to them. The things you were only able to do when you're together and out of your own homes, now you can do it in your own home and almost everyday too. And let me tell you something, kids, a lot of married couples were best friends at first. And so were your parents, sonny boy."

"My mother and dad used to be best friends? It can't be!" Micki was pretty shocked. "They're so close together and do things really great! Not like best friends would do after being married to..."

"Ahh, do you see it now, kids?" the fisherman noted. "Your parents started out as best friends and look at them now! Aren't they happy together? The best friend code is just a code and an old wives' tale. I'm sure you two will have happiness together too, just like your parents."

After pondering the fisherman's words for a while, they realized that they were being immature and old-fashioned for too long. The fisherman was right--everything they have practiced in the best friends' code was just a bunch of codes and nothing more. It wasn't so sacred after all. It was just a bunch of stupid old rules.

Finally Micki smiled and said, "Thank you, sir. Thanks for the advice. I think we're ready to go home now."

"Well, then I'll wish you kids good luck and all the best!" the fisherman tipped his straw hat and got off the sand to reach his hut just at the end of the beach.

The pair of best friends continued their journey home. Before they knew it, it was already the beginning of autumn when they reached home. They tip-toed into the house in order to surprise Micki's parents. As they peeked into the living room, they saw the parents sitting by the fire looking quite worried indeed.

"We shouldn't have forced them into this engagement," Micki's mother sighed. "Maybe they're not exactly at the right age yet."

"They are of right age," Micki's dad said. "But you're right; we shouldn't have forced them and we shouldn't have rushed it. We should've waited until the next Poloka before we announced the decision."

"Actually," Micki's voice appeared, shocking the both of them,"we don't really mind being engaged."

How happy the family was as they saw Micki and Madella rushing forward to Micki's parents, hugging and kissing like they haven't seen each other for centuries. Well, it did feel like it since they left anyway.

Needless to say, Micki and Madella were wed by next Poloka and they had a family of their own a few years later. The fisherman was right--they really did have a great time and their frienship had never deteriorated ever. In fact, as they started to have children, they were closer than any closest best friends could ever be.

And ever Poloka, Madella would always tell her children about their misadventures of their past before bedtime.

The children never get tired of hearing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets