Skip to main content

Possessed




When I was 8, I attended a family party at my aunt’s house which was on top of a hill. Her backyard consisted of this huge downward sloping garden with lots of trees everywhere. I grew up with a lot of cousins who were around the same age as me, and that day, we all decided to play around and explore the backyard—we climbed trees, collected bugs, played hide & seek, etc. 

Everyone who came to the party that day was completely healthy. The weather was nice, food was good. There was a small chance for anyone to get sick from the party…however, during the drive home that night, I started to feel nauseous. I used to get carsick a lot when I was little, so I thought it would pass once I got home. The thing is, I live 15 minutes away from my aunt; the nausea was not from being carsick, and it didn’t go away when I got home.

In fact, my mom (who left the party early and was already home by the time my cousin dropped me off) said that when I got home, I acted very strange. I was totally silent despite the fact that I had been hyper and talkative that whole day. I didn’t say a word to my parents, not even a hello or a kiss on the cheek to greet them like I always did. I walked right past them and just sat on a chair on my patio outside for about an hour. That whole time, I didn’t do anything on that chair. Just sat. From what I remember, I eventually I got up out the chair, threw up water, then fell asleep.

I was too sick to go to school the next day. My mom is a nurse, so she knew whether or not I needed to visit a pediatrician to explain/treat my sickness. I didn’t. 

She did, however, call upon a different kind of doctor: a “witch doctor”. This witch doctor lives all the way in the Philippines, aka the other side of the world. My mom had my grandma in the Philippines give the doctor a picture of me and then told him general information about me like my name and birthday. The witch doctor then put my photo on this shrine in his home, said a prayer, and dipped melted candle wax into a bowl of water which formed the shape of a girl. Almost immediately after this prayer, which took place thousands of miles away from me, I felt better and the nausea was gone. The power of prayer. (Many people actually do practice the magic of candle burning and prayers in wax, you can try it if you research it.)

Apparently, the witch doctor said the reason why I got sick was because there was a spirit of a young girl in my aunt’s backyard that wanted to play with me and my cousins, and in order to do so, she “went inside” of me and basically took over my body. That also explains my weird behavior and the formation of a girl in the water bowl. The prayer he did drove the spirit away from my body. 

Ever since this incident, I stopped going to my aunt’s garden. Who knows what’s still down there, playing beneath the trees.

---

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets