Skip to main content

The ‘Hug Me’ Virus


It’s not the end of the world, but the way people are acting makes it seem so.

It started like any vaccine would; careful work, day and night, in a lab. Funded by the government, that’s funded by people that pay taxes for some measure of security. Months of work and hundreds of vials. Half a dozen donated human brain tissue samples and comparative slides. Blood work, and lab trials that led up to clinical trials that led up to… something amazing.

A vaccine, created to fight, and in time, cure, the debilitating mental illness of clinical depression.

Not the cure for cancer, but a breakthrough! It worked. It honest to god, one-hundred percent worked. Daily medication and weekly visits to the shrink were traded for fun days off and nights on the town. All thanks to a bimonthly vaccine, cooked up in a little lab, for a big, government paycheck.

Yes, after some time, it backfired. The clinical trials were fine! That’s because the scientists and doctors behind them knew what to look for. They only had people diagnosed with some form of depression, by professionals. They didn’t just pluck someone off the street, they wanted actual, legit test subjects. There was too much money riding on the vaccine being effective for mistakes.

Yeah, the vaccine worked. But, the illness had to be present inside of the human brain for the vaccine to work.

Do you know how many people get misdiagnosed every day? Because too many psychiatrists see a paycheck, instead of a patient? Because people don’t realize what depression actually is, or how it works? Psychiatrists know how it works. That’s why some of them throw a prescription pad at a frown, instead of taking the time to do their jobs and listen.

Six months of injections, of bliss, of breakthrough moments all over the country. Six months, before the first incident hit the news. A mother of two had picked her toddler up from daycare, and greeted her with a hug. The mother, overjoyed, hugged back, and shortly caved in her little girls ribs. She smiled, and snuggled her screaming little girl, and didn’t let go until the police came. The mother attempted to give a cop the same hug. She left behind a husband, and a five year old boy.

It wasn’t anything major, it was tragic, but nothing too terrifying. You can find worse things on reddit, for gods sake. It was a thing that happened, but it was one, isolated incident.

Until the next one, four months later. Elderly man hugged his wife to death. They were both in their eighties, frail things. While she died of crushed ribs and internal bleeding, he fractured an arm, and a few ribs. But he never stopped smiling.

It became a trend. Only adults were doing these hugs of death, but then, the rare teenager hugged their BFF to death. We were looking for patterns that weren’t there. Hunting for links that weren’t available to the public.

The people figured it out eventually. None of the people that had done these hugs of death had been diagnosed with any form of depression. They had all had the vaccine. Think about this; seven percent of adults in the united states have depression. Roughly twelve percent of the population had gotten the vaccine. The only thing needed to get the vaccine in some states was a goddamn checklist of signs! If you met the criteria, you got the needle! Fuck accuracy and proper medical procedure, they’ve got a miracle drug!

…It’s … it was dubbed the ‘Hug Me’ virus, by the media. It’s not a virus. It’s a chemical imbalance in the brain, like the depression that doctors wanted to cure. But what it’s done, has made these people without depression become manic. Not the medical kind of manic, or the drug-induced manic. Full of, stereotypical, cackling mania. They seem normal until they make eye contact. They didn’t, at first, seem dangerous. Would you turn down a big, smiling hug from your father? Your wife? Your grandmother?

All forms of public displays of affection were prohibited as a case of national security. Few protested, and those that did learned fast that a hug in public got you tasered and quarantined. To get the point across, the media did a special on the survivors.

Not everyone hugged died, but surviving was a nightmare. Cracked ribs and paralysis in teenagers, spinal fractures in grown men. They interviewed a seven year old girl who would scream and cry if anyone touched her. Her daddy hugged her so hard that her lungs collapsed.

People infected by the hug me virus are being located. Carted off to quarantine, and tested, and terminated, no doubt. That’s how it’s gonna have to be. Blood and brain tissue samples from people who don’t know that their hugs snap ribs and kill. The vaccine is off the market, has been for months after the fact. I hear that scientists, the same ones that made the vaccine, are looking for a cure.

Back to the drawing board.

But, I don’t think we need to worry too much. It’s not so bad. Yeah, it’s bad, but it’s not the end of the world. People will die, but they do that every day. I’m not being heartless, I’m being realistic. How do we know a cure wont backfire again? We don’t, but… people want to try.

I know it’s dangerous out there, but, talking about this makes me remember how long I’ve been cooped up. Studio apartments are tiny, and I’m running out of food. Still, despite the bullshit going on outside, I’m feeling…. okay. Better than okay. I could be doing better, though. Maybe… maybe I just need a hug?


Credits to: http://theevilblackbunny.tumblr.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets