Skip to main content

Late Night: Part 1



Tim looked at his phone and sighed. It was almost midnight and Kate still wasn’t home. She’d been working late a lot recently but not this late. He laid back down on the couch and felt his eyes close as he tried to pay attention to the news.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

Tim’s eyes flew open and he looked around, still partially asleep.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

Now fully awake, he glanced at his phone- he’d slept for almost two hours. He stood up and walked to the door. Looking through the peephole, he saw two policemen waiting on the stoop. He opened the door hesitantly.

“Can I help you, officers?” Tim asked, standing in the half open doorway.

“Are you Tim Schultz? And your wife is Kate Schultz?” The obviously oldest officer of the two stood closest to him, while a younger man held back a few steps.

“Yes, that’s me, and my wife. Is something wrong?”

“I’m Officer Wright and this is Officer Scott. Sir, we have some bad news for you. It’s about your wife. She was in an accident. We believe she was speeding and lost control of the vehicle. She was air lifted to St. Joseph’s but unfortunately she was pronounced dead on arrival. We’ll need you to come down and officially identify the body.”

“I…Are you sure? You’re sure it’s Kate? Oh, Jesus. Oh, Jesus. You’re sure it’s her?”

“We’re sure. Her purse was found in the wreckage. Her license was in it.” He put a hand on Tim’s shoulder in a gesture of comfort. “Take a deep breath, son. It’ll be alright. You don’t have to come with us right now. Take the night to rest and come down to the hospital in the morning. ”

“Ok. Ok. Thank you, officer.”

“Here’s my card. Give me a call if you need anything, I’m on duty the rest of the night. It’ll be alright. We’ll be there when you get to the hospital.”

“Ok. Thank you…”

“Try to take it easy, son.”

“Thanks…” Wright looked like he might say something else but Tim shut the door before he did. He stood there staring at the wooden door frame, listening as they walked away. And for another few minutes after he heard the car leave. Finally, he turned and stumbled to the couch with his head in his hands.

But he lifted his head at the sound of the shower turning off, realizing that he hadn’t noticed that it was running. He turned as the bathroom door opened and Kate stepped out, toweling off her hair.

“Sorry for not waking you when I got home. Who was at the door?”


Credits to: http://haileythinksshecanwrite.tumblr.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets