Skip to main content

Sweet Dreams




‘Its 2 AM. Why can’t I sleep?’ You think to yourself, laying in a bed that seems to get colder and more uncomfortable by the minute. Your legs are restless, your brain is on overdrive and no matter how you position yourself it all feels the same. You feel a slow ache in your head, but only briefly. Frustrated, you sit up, and start to get out of bed.

‘Maybe a run will help. Get all this energy out, and give my brain a rest, something else to focus on.’ You put on your running gear, head to the workout room, and start warming up.

A small tingle goes up your spine as you head to the treadmill. You slowly look around for someone else in the room. Surely you locked the doors, you checked twice, but there’s the undeniable feeling of eyes on your back. Seeing nothing, you return to the treadmill and start it up. After 45 minutes of walking, jogging, running and then back down, you feel exhausted.

‘Finally’ you think, heading for the fridge for a bottle of water. As you reach in, there’s a small tingle on your back… almost like a hand just barely touching you. Heart pounding, you look around, the light from the fridge illuminating only a small part of the kitchen.

You fumble along the wall reaching for the light switch. As you flip it, light floods the room showing..

Nothing.

‘What the… what is going on?’ You think, slowly rubbing your temple. You didn’t realize you still had the headache. It’s a little worse, but you’re sure once you re-hydrate and get some sleep it’ll be gone.

Turning out all the lights, you head back to your bedroom, sleep beckoning. You fall asleep almost instantly. The next five nights are the same routine, the same feeling of being watched when no one is there gets worse. You hear whispers, see shadows running along the wall as you turn on lights.

‘My mind is playing tricks on me’ you tell yourself. Its because you’re so tired, right? And this headache can’t be helping either. Maybe you should see a doctor or something. You make the call the next morning and after a weeks’ wait to get in, the doctor finds nothing “wrong” per se, just stress from work maybe? Too much electronic use, cell phone and tv. Cut down on that, and excess sugar and caffeine, and that should help both the sleep and the headache, which is probably just from eye strain. Being tired.

She gives a prescription for some sleeping pills “just in case” and sends you home. That night, you aren’t taking any chances. You go to the kitchen for some water, pill in hand. You set the pill on the counter and get some water from the tap. You turn around to grab the pill and the glass slips from your fingers, crashing to the ground, shards of glass flying across the floor. You stand frozen to the spot.

Across the room stands a… thing. Its not a man. Not exactly.. it’s like an ever-changing black mist trying to shape itself like a human. It glides towards you slowly, grayish protrusions where a mouth would be appear, almost as if it were its way of a grotesque smile.

It raises a hand and caresses your cheek. The throbbing in your head grows to an unbearable sharp pain. The tingling you’ve been feeling the last two weeks follows and you start to scream, only to be silenced by unseen forces.

The figure slowly starts to disappear, and you swear you hear someone whisper “sweet dreams, soon you will be mine” as you faint into the broken shards. Your head hits the counter on the way down.

In the morning, when you don’t show up for work, people come looking for you. They find your lifeless body and your cause of death will be deemed a mix of aneurysm and head trauma from the counter top. They will never know that the real reason remains in the shadows, with you screaming for them to look at you, to help you, please, help you!

You’re just another restless soul in its keep.

Sweet dreams, my dear.


Credits to: http://smokiandthebandit.tumblr.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets