Skip to main content

Early Morning: Part 2




The alarm went off at 8:00 am and Tim drowsily reached over to hit the snooze button.

Ten minutes later, the buzzer sounded again. This time he sat up and silenced it. Looking over at Kate fondly, he thought of the previous night’s events. He shook his head. The whole thing was a mess. Some terrible mix up. He still felt sorry for the person whose body was laying in the morgue, and for their family. But the most overwhelming feeling was of relief. When he saw his wife standing in the hallway after the police had left, he almost wept with joy. And when she suggested that it was time for them both to sleep, he agreed eagerly, ready for the night to be over.

He ran his hand lightly over her blonde hair and she stirred, still asleep. With a loving smile on his face, he got up to take a shower. Even if it hadn’t been her in the accident last night, he needed to speak with the police and clear things up.

 As he finished pulling on his shoes, he leaned over and kissed Kate gently on the cheek. Looking at her closely, something seemed off. Something he couldn’t quite place. He shrugged it off as leftover emotional strain from the previous night. By the time he got in his car, the thought was completely gone from his mind.

“Good morning, Officer Wright. Officer Scott.,” Tim greeted them cheerfully.

“Morning, Mr. Schultz. You seem…well,” the older officer replied, seeming slightly concerned. The younger man looked at him steadily and Tim briefly noted that he still hadn’t heard him speak. “We’re sorry again about your wife, and appreciate you coming down here.”

“Thanks, officer, but the sympathy is unnecessary. There must have been some sort of crazy mix up. Kate is fine. She was home last night and I just left her, still in bed, this morning.”

The other two men exchanged glances.

“I’m sorry, sir, but that’s imposs-” Officer Scott started, in a deeper voice than Tim expected.

“Now, hold on, Scott,” Wright interrupted. “Tim, you’re sure about this? It’s a traumatic time, you’re sure you didn’t dream it? You didn’t do any drinking last night?”

“What? Of course I’m sure. Kate’s at home, and she’s fine. I didn’t dream her. She’s alive.”

“Well then, that’s great for you, and for her. But it leaves us with a bit of a mystery on our hands. If it’s not too much to ask, would you still be willing to have a look at the body? If she’s someone local, maybe you can still help up identify her.”

“Uh, sure. I guess I can do that. I am already here.”

“Thanks, son. It’ll only take a minute.” Wright led the way through a pair of stainless steel doors, followed by Tim and Officer Scott. Tim could feel the man’s eyes on the back of his head. “Alright, over here. We just need you to take a quick look at her face and let us know if you think you’ve ever seen her around here before.”

As he pulled the sheet back from her face, Tim felt bile rise up in his throat. He realized why something had felt off when he kissed his wife’s cheek as she lay in bed.

The mole. The one just under the corner of her right eye.

The one he always planted his kisses on.

The Kate laying here on the cold metal table in the basement of a hospital, the one with her forehead split open and normally sunkissed skin a pallid gray, had the mole. The Kate he had slept next to last night, the one he left this morning, didn’t.
 





Credits to: http://haileythinksshecanwrite.tumblr.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets