Skip to main content

Don’t Breathe




Most people have heard the old superstition about holding your breath as you go by a cemetery. Few people are as serious about it as my grandmother was, though. Don’t take a breath or you may breathe in an unbound spirit!

Every time we got in a car she would remind us, on the off chance that we happened to pass cemetery during the trip. My family always did as she said, no matter how ridiculous it may have seemed. I did it out of respect (and secret fear that she was right) as a child, but as I grew older I was able to see how serious she was when she told us. I never did ask why it was so important to her…

Eventually, after so many years of being reminded, it became a habit. I continued to do it even after she had passed away, usually without even realizing I was doing it until I my lungs started telling me that I needed oxygen. It was a frequent topic of teasing by my friends. But I never really believed in the reasoning behind it. At least, not until a couple months ago.

My girlfriend, Shayla, and I were on our way to my house from town, taking the back roads. We had spent most of the day at the mall- it was really the only interesting place to hang out in the area. We did a little shopping but mostly we people watched, spinning stories about stranger’s lives to pass the time. Her parents were out of town for the weekend on some business trip, (not that they were there very much anyway) so she was spending a couple nights with me. Not that that was unusual, either- we spent most weekends together anyway. With her parents usually gone and my parents being open minded as well as fairly hands-off, we rarely were apart for more than a day or two. It was also almost the end of the school year, of our senior year, and we would be parting ways for college soon so we wanted to spend as much time together as possible.

Anyway, off to the side of the road was the local graveyard. Old, but still occasionally used for members of the original families in the area. Like I said, holding my breath was a habit to me, so as soon as we rounded the curve before the driveway to the cemetery, I took a deep breath in.

“Oh, come on, Carlee. You don’t need to do that,” she teased, poking me in the side. “I promise no ghosts are going to get you. Watch.” She winked at me, rolled down the window, and inhaled deeply. And immediately started coughing. I managed to hold in my laughter until we were past.

“Shayla? Are you in there?” I asked, acting scared. “Oh spirit, please let her go!” She punched me lightly on the shoulder while taking a long drink from her water bottle.

“Ugh. I think I swallowed a bug. That was gross.” I laughed again and she joined in. The rest of the drive passed pleasantly and uneventfully. We spent the rest of the night watching movies and went  to bed around midnight. I fell asleep quickly, but she woke me up a few times with her restlessness. Around four I woke up again, this time because of the realization that I was alone in the bed. I knew that she’d had problems with sleepwalking before, so I got up to make sure she was alright.

I found her standing in front of the kitchen sink, looking out the window, with one of my father’s cigarettes in her hand.

“Shay!” I hissed. “What the hell are you doing?”

“What?” She turned, looking startled. She stared at the cigarette smoking between her fingers. “I don’t… I don’t know. I just…needed it.” She seemed bewildered, like she didn’t understand herself what she was doing. I took the cigarette from her and ran it under water from the faucet then tossed it in the trash.

“Come on,” I said, taking her hand. “Let’s go back to bed.

She woke up early the next morning and asked me to take her home. She said she wasn’t feeling well. I tried to convince her that if she was getting sick, it would be better if she stayed there with me instead of being home alone. I also offered to stay at her house with her, but she said no, that she wanted to be alone.

That was the last real conversation we had. I texted her throughout the day and evening to check in but only got single word replies. At school, where we were usually inseparable between classes, I was barely able to catch sight of her before she disappeared into the crowded hallways. After a couple days, I managed to catch up with her, intending to demand to know what was going on. But the look in her eyes… A mix of disdain and unfamiliarity, like she didn’t know who I was and didn’t want to. It threw me off so much that I lost what I wanted to say to her.

Not like it would have mattered anyway. That wasn’t Shayla anymore. Her eyes had always been bright blue, like the sky on a clear day in the middle of summer. But now…they were any icy gray. Cold. Her bouncy, playful personality was gone. Even her hair was different, dyed a dark brown instead of the beautiful auburn I loved. The way she walked wasn’t the same anymore, either.

I heard through the grapevine that she started hanging out with the kids known around the school as the druggie crowd. I got asked countless times by friends and other students who knew that we were together what was going on with her, but I couldn’t give them answers. I watched as she grew more pale every day. She lost enough weight that it was noticeable even from the quick glimpses I saw of her in the hallways. She stopped coming to school three weeks before graduation. I know her parents filled a missing child report but since she was 18, there wasn’t a lot that they could do. I don’t know if she is still alive.

Then again, I don’t know if the Shayla I knew and loved had been alive since the day we passed that cemetery. I truly believe that exactly what my grandma had always warned me about is what happened to her.

It’s not just a habit when I hold my breath anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets