Skip to main content

There's Something Creepy about the Doll on My Shelf

 https://s2.r29static.com/bin/entry/b2d/0,0,2000,1050/x,80/2039917/image.jpg 

I got a doll for my birthday. She looked just like me. Same brown hair, same blue dress I wore. Mommy said she found her at an old shop and knew I’d love her. I named her Lily.

Lily was fun at first. We had tea parties and I told her secrets. But then, weird things happened. I’d leave Lily on the chair, but find her on my bed later. “Maybe you forgot you moved her,” Mommy said. But I knew I didn’t.

One night, I heard a noise. Like tiny feet walking. I peeked from under my covers and saw Lily sitting on my desk, but her eyes were looking at me. It made my heart beat really fast.

Next day, I put Lily in the closet. I didn’t want to play with her anymore. She made me feel strange. But when I came back from school, she was sitting on my bed again. Her smile looked different, bigger.

I told Mommy, but she just laughed. “Lily’s just a doll,” she said.

Then, the scariest thing happened. It was night, and the moon was bright. I woke up feeling cold. I looked around and... I wasn’t in my bed. I was on the shelf, where I keep my toys. And in my bed, where I should have been, was Lily. She was under my blanket, her eyes closed like she was sleeping.

I tried to scream, but no sound came out. I couldn’t move. My arms and legs were stiff as wood. I looked down at my hands. They weren’t my hands. They were doll hands.

I don’t know how long I stayed there. The moon moved across the sky, and the room got darker. Then, light peeked in. Morning.

When Mommy came to wake me, she didn’t see me on the shelf. She went to the bed. “Time to get up, Amy,” she said to Lily. Lily moved. She stretched and yawned, like she was really me.

I wanted to cry, to tell Mommy it was me, on the shelf. But I couldn’t. I was just a doll.

Mommy left the room, and Lily got dressed in my clothes. She looked in the mirror and smiled. But her eyes were scary, not like mine.

I sat on the shelf every day, watching Lily. She played with my toys, ate my food, and hugged my mommy. Nobody knew I was here on the shelf.

Years went by, so many years, sitting on the shelf in my room. But it wasn't my room anymore. It was Lily's room now. She grew taller and older, but I stayed the same, a small porcelain doll with a silent voice. I watched Lily become a teenager, then a grown-up. She stopped playing with dolls, stopped noticing me on the shelf. I was just a forgotten toy in a room filled with memories.

Then, one sunny day, Mommy decided to have a garage sale. She gathered old things, things that weren't needed anymore. And that included me. I was placed on a table with other old toys, my dress faded and my hair a bit tangled. People came and went, looking at all the stuff. Then, she came. A little girl with bright eyes and a smile that reminded me of... me, a long time ago. Her name was Emma.

Emma saw me and her face lit up. "Can I have this doll, Mommy?" she asked, holding me gently. Her mom nodded, and that's how I left my old home, tucked under Emma's arm, going to a new place.

Emma's room was full of colors and laughter. She played with me every day, telling me stories and secrets, just like I used to do with Lily. She named me Rosie, and I loved that name. It felt new and happy.

Then, something strange happened. One morning, I felt a tingle in my fingers. It scared me, but also made me hopeful. Each day, I felt more and more. My arms, my legs, they started to feel real again.

One night, under the moonlight streaming through Emma's window, I felt it. I could move, just a little, but it was movement. My heart, if I still had one, was beating so fast. I closed my eyes, wishing, hoping.

When I opened my eyes again, it was morning. But everything was different. I was in Emma's bed, covered in her blanket. I sat up, looking at my hands. They were real hands again.

I jumped out of bed and ran to the mirror. But the reflection staring back wasn't mine. It was Emma's face. I touched my face, feeling real skin instead of porcelain. It was like magic, but also scary.

I turned around and saw the shelf where I used to sit. There, in my old spot, was a doll. It looked just like Emma, with her cute dress and shiny hair. But it wasn't Emma. It was just a doll, still and silent. My heart felt heavy. I understood then. The same thing that happened to me and Lily had happened to Emma.

I was free from being a doll, but Emma, she was trapped, just like I had been. I remembered Lily and realized she must have been a real girl too, turned into a doll. The only way to break the doll's curse was for another little girl to take my place. It made me feel sad and guilty. I didn't want Emma to be stuck like I was.

But what could I do? I was in Emma's body now.

Now, I go to her school, play with her friends, and live her life. But every night, I look at the Emma-doll on the shelf and whisper, "I'm sorry." I wish I could change it, make it all go back to normal. But I don’t know how.

Amy

----

Credits 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets