Skip to main content

How Could This Happen to Me?


 

Not to brag or anything. But I'm an exceptional human being. Not only am I intelligent. I'm also handsome, charismatic and humble. So to think this horrifying incident would happen to such a great guy like myself honestly shocks me.

My story begins in the summer of 2022. I just finished my sophomore year at one of the top universities in the country. I had a girlfriend named Alexis. Her family was poor, she could only afford to go to a community college. She also had to work part time at a fast food restaurant (this is where I met her). Stupid girl but she was hot. Also, she was very quiet and reserved. So she had some positives. I planned on upgrading from her after I got my degree.

The only other "friend" I really had was my college roommate, Troy. He was a complete dork. He was really into ghosts, demons and other superstitious stuff. His family was incredibly wealthy. He would show me pictures of his mansion. He would say some really weird shit like there's a demon living in the mansion. That it lives in the basement but comes upstairs at night and bangs on his bedroom door all night long. He says he never leaves his bedroom at night because the demon kidnapped his grandfather.

Anyway, I had two weeks until I started a summer internship. I wanted to spend time with Alexis but she seemed to be getting bored with me. I then thought of an idea. I remembered Troy saying that he was taking a trip with his family to Japan the whole summer. The mansion would be completely empty. I could take Alexis to the empty mansion and impress her by saying it's mine. When Troy took a shower, I rummaged through all of his stuff and eventually found the key to the mansion in his coat pocket. I wasn't stealing it, just borrowing it for the summer.

The next day I took her to the mansion. I started giving her a tour. At one point during the tour I thought I heard a noise coming from the basement. Sounded like someone moaning. 

"It's probably my imagination", I thought to myself. After I gave her the tour I asked, "So what do you think?". 

She gave me a smile and disinterested look, "It's nice". 

Her disinterest annoyed me. She lived in a shithole neighborhood. Here I am, wasting all my time showing her a proper house and she has the audacity to show disinterest. Anyway, we decided to spend the night there.

We watched netflix all night and fell asleep on the couch. I woke up around 2 am. For some reason I felt uneasy. Like someone was watching me. I was still half asleep but I started making out a dark figure standing across from me on the coach. 

"Alexis?", I asked. 

But then I looked to my right, she was still sleeping next to me. Troy? No he should be in Japan. My eyes started to adjust. The dark figure was humanoid in shape but at the same time it was obviously not human. It was skinny, around eight feet tall it's arms and legs were disproportionately long compared to the rest of it's body. The figure started making a moaning noise. The same one I heard in the basement earlier that day. Alexis woke up from that noise. It's then that I realized that this was probably the demon Troy was talking about. I thought it was complete bullshit, but here it was right in front of us.

"What's wrong?", I heard Alexis ask me. But I was still fixated on the demon. Alexis followed my eyes and screamed with terror when she saw the demon. The demon started walking towards us, I shoved Alexis at the demon to distract it. I then sprinted for the exit. However, the mansion was so big and it was pitch black that I didn't know where I was going. I just continued to run, hoping I could find the exit. I eventually tripped and fell over.

I started to feel really sorry for myself. Why was this happening to someone as exceptional as me? Why not Troy? Dudes a loser. Or heck, it could be anyone. Why was this happening to me? I started crying and accepted my fate. A few seconds later, I felt a hard slap on my face. I looked up. It was Alexis. 

"You fucking asshole!", she wailed, "You were going to let that thing kill me so you could get away!" 

I was astonished by what she was saying. She never acted this way. She was always very reserved and polite. And she just physically assaulted me.

I was furious that she would treat me this way. But I regained my composure. "I demand an explanation. How did you get away?". 

She looked enraged, "That's what you ask me? Not that you're glad that I survived? Or how I'm doing after you left me to die?". 

"You're exaggerating. I didn't leave you to die." I retorted, "And it's not like you contribute anything relevant to society like me"

She looked at me with disgust and said, "That's it. I'm done with you." And started walking away from me. This completely caught me off guard. Why was she being so selfish? I'm destined for greatness. She is a community college student destined for mediocrity. My future is much more important than hers. She should be putting all of her effort into making sure I survive. But here she is walking away from me.

"What, you think you can escape without me?", I asked mockingly, "We both know you're too stupid to survive without me. You need me." 

She continued to walk away without a word. Fine, I don't need her anyway. I thought to myself. My eyes started to adjust to the darkness. I started to realize that I was near the kitchen. The kitchen has a window. I can escape through the window. I started feeling my way through the darkness until I reached the kitchen. I tried to unlock the window without success. Looking around, I found a pot on the kitchen table. I used it to break the window. 

I grinned, "Sweet freedom. Dumb bitch should have stuck with me". I started to crawl through the window to the outside. I was almost all the way out when something grabbed my right leg. It was the demon! It was pulling me back inside. I was wiggling my leg, trying to get my leg loose, but the demon's grasp was too strong.

The demon was slowly pulling me back into the mansion. To my bewilderment, I saw Alexis. She was already outside and she was walking away from the mansion. "Alexis!". 

"Alexis!". I screamed again and again as the demon was slowly pulling me back inside. But she couldn't hear me. 

"Alexis!", I cried. My whole body was back in the mansion now. The demon dragged me through the pitch darkness. I cried in horror. What was it going to do to me? I started to realize that it was taking me downstairs. It was taking me to the basement.

Two years later, I'm still trapped in the basement. The only company I have is the demon and Troy's grandfather who was also kidnapped. Turns out the demon is lonely and that's why it kidnapped the both of us. The demon has a laptop, so that's how I'm posting my story on reddit. I sometimes go on Alexis's social media. Turns out she now transferred to MIT and is doing very well for herself. As for me, I'm bored to death. All I do is play monopoly with the demon and Troy's grandfather and surf the web. How could this happen to me? I had such a bright future. 

----

Credits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets